PDA

View Full Version : Diff ticking when turning going slowly in reverse

Jim621
28th July 2014, 08:51 PM
Hi All,

Ive noticed that my diff in my AE86 clicks when reversing slowly while turning in a circle.
I presume this is some sort of locker in the diff that is letting the outside wheel spin faster, so the diff freewheels.

Do you know what type / brand of diff that would be in my 86 making this noise? my guess is a Detroit locker (although im not sure you can get detroits for an AE86?)

It’s a disc brake diff, I assume a T series. photo below.

http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/1/7/4/0/3/515004.jpg (http://s696.photobucket.com/user/Jim621/media/P1000741small.jpg.html)

Thanks, Steve

Jim621
1st August 2014, 12:08 AM
bump - anyone?
the click/tick is timed with axle movement and its sounds like its supposed to happen. just not sure what type of diff it would be.
thanks.

Big T
1st August 2014, 07:33 AM
Dude... you're asking us to tell you what brand if centre you have based on a sound that only you have heard? Almost ALL lsds will make some chattering/ticking when turning tight circles. Why don't you just open the drain plug and have a look?

Jim621
1st August 2014, 09:25 AM
Hey Big T, I figured cause the ticking is so mechanical and perfectly timed with axle rotation it’s not an LSD but a locker of some kind.
I figured there weren’t too many diff lockers (not LSD) available for a corolla so may be able to narrow down what type it could be.

Ill check through the drain plug for some sort of marking on the diff centre.
thanks

Big T
1st August 2014, 09:52 AM
Most clutch pack lsds will tick or chatter in tight circles. If there is a smooth billet finish, could be KAZZ, cusco, OS ginken. Rough cast finish could be factory LSD or trd. It'll be obvious if it's a spool/locker as they are shaped differently from the LSD centers.

Seventy
2nd August 2014, 07:43 PM
Pretty sure I had the same noise in reverse with the same diff, check that your brake pads have all the little retainer clips