PDA

View Full Version : wheel stuck to hub

KKUSTOM
4th July 2009, 04:54 PM
hey had any had their wheel stuck to a hub before...plz share your stories and tips.:yeah:

Gunner
4th July 2009, 05:00 PM
rubber mallet and wd, subaru upper engine cleaner is the shit though

ROLL3R
4th July 2009, 05:09 PM
I have a ke20, when i bought it was running 13 inch stock mazda rims all round. which i thought was ok, till i wanted to bolt my 13x7 hotwires on and noticed that after i took all the wheel nuts off the front wheel were pretty much welded on after years of being on the car !!! and the centre hub is smaller then the ke20. after giving it some WD40 to drink i gave it a couple of hard pulls, didnt work, so i got a rubber mallet out and bashed it well and proper, didnt work. by this point i was getting pretty cheesed off >@. so i jacked the front of the car as high as it would go, put full steering lock on, got a sledge hammer and gave the back of the wheel the hardest hit i could.......FINALLY :thumbup: !!! needless to say i dont run those 13 inch stock mazda rims anymore and i dont think anyone ever will again coz they werent very round after that :hehe:

trikzlane
4th July 2009, 05:21 PM
best thing is to get a rubber mallet and some boots and hit and kick the tyre side to side and up and down until it starts to free up

H8CHIR6KU
4th July 2009, 05:54 PM
2 things.

1. put atleast 2 wheel nuts on 1 or 2 threads so you dont send the wheel flying off. esp with nice rims

2. dont ever get under there and try and kick it off when its on jack stands.

Konakid
4th July 2009, 05:58 PM
Some one put a sto wheel on the back of my ar that was the wrong centre bore size, after some angle grinding of the rim and drum cover it eventually came off

Javal
4th July 2009, 06:02 PM
2 things.

1. put atleast 2 wheel nuts on 1 or 2 threads so you dont send the wheel flying off. esp with nice rims

2. dont ever get under there and try and kick it off when its on jack stands.

This.

Deadblow rubber mallets work wonders

If it's an alloy wheel on there, it's stuck because the steel of the hub / drum corrodes to the alloy center bore on the rim.

Putting some a smatter of moly grease around the surface which the rim centers on will prevent it.

fantapants
4th July 2009, 06:26 PM
1. remove wheel nuts.

2. drive till loose.

3. dont do above :)

Robo86
4th July 2009, 06:37 PM
i used to kick my ma's off

08ftwyo
4th July 2009, 06:48 PM
Spin the wheel when you hit it with the mallet.

H8CHIR6KU
4th July 2009, 07:30 PM
when i was at holden (which are really bad for stuck rims) a customer had a flat. he couldnt get the rim off so he kicked it. the car fell crushed his foot and damaged his brake disc. thats why i mentioned dont kick it

Javal
4th July 2009, 09:43 PM
when i was at holden (which are really bad for stuck rims) a customer had a flat. he couldnt get the rim off so he kicked it. the car fell crushed his foot and damaged his brake disc. thats why i mentioned dont kick it

Yep, holdens are horrible for it.

That's why it's good practice to apply moly grease to the locating stub-bit every service. It's good practice, but it's not common practice.

ae71
4th July 2009, 09:56 PM

well wasnt he a down right twat then?

KKUSTOM
5th July 2009, 12:01 AM
thanks for the feed back fellas..i am going to hit the shops tomorrow and buy the biggest rubber mallet i can find lol.

i have tryed using another tyre to bump it off and RP7 but none work at the moment...will get back to u on how I go lol

provar
5th July 2009, 12:12 AM
loosen all the nuts to a few threads on each, lower the car so the wheel just pushes on the ground enough to separate it from the hub, very simple

KKUSTOM
5th July 2009, 05:32 PM
in the end i got the wheels of with a pry bar i brought from straco.....thanks for all the advice and storys, helped heep

Thanks KKUSTOM