PDA

View Full Version : No oil pressure!!!! Grex thermostat adapter

ae86 slide
7th October 2014, 05:39 PM
Hello everyone...

To make a really long story short, I put a new Grex/Trust oil filter/thermostatic block in my car but due to the shitty Chinese filter block that I'm still using on the motor (with the ports labelled wrong) I reversed the in and out lines to the Grex block.

Has anyone had any experience with these and know if they will cause this problem (low to no oil pressure) when lines are reversed?

I've pulled the motor out and removed inspected the pump so I'd like some knowledgable input before I put it all back in and hope for the best.

Cheers, Jason

Big T
7th October 2014, 06:33 PM
Yeah it'll cause low oil pressure as the oil is trying to squeeze past the filter in the reverse direction. It's made worse if you have an anti drain back valve on the filter. How long did you run it for? Shouldn't be any lasting damage as long as it wasn't for extended periods/high revs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ae86 slide
7th October 2014, 08:19 PM
Thanks Big T
I actually tested that theory by blowing into the input port and saw oil spit out straight away, then I blew into output port (where the oil has been feeding into) and I couldn't get any oil spitting out.

And just to make things worse, my bearings look like this (I'm no expert but they don't look the best)

http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/1/3/6/2/540984.jpg

Jimmee1990
8th October 2014, 08:09 PM
Bearings definitely need to be replaced, more importantly how does the crank look? Might get away with it as is or it might just clean up with a linish. How do the oil pump, cylinder head and camshafts look as well?