PDA

View Full Version : NEED HELP WITH STARTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!

pjcp01
21st October 2014, 09:03 AM
Hi all
Would somebody be able to help me out with this problem...

My hachi has had a Link installed by previous owner, and left a mess of cables in the engine bay so...

I was doing some tidying-up of cables over the weekend, it started then i put it all back together to find out it doesnt want to go

The relay for the starter motor gets 12V on the two 'control' pins (85 & 86) of the relay when you turn the key to start position

the two pins to the starter circuit (30 & 87a) also get 12V but nothing happens, the relay 'clicks' but starter doesnt go

theres another relay for the fan which works perfectly fine, so im sure its wired up alright

any help will be very much appreciated!

Matt
21st October 2014, 09:53 AM
check to see you didn't disconnect the power to the starter solenoid, and that your earth is still connected to the relay

pjcp01
21st October 2014, 10:31 AM
check to see you didn't disconnect the power to the starter solenoid, and that your earth is still connected to the relay

Theres one big cable that runs from the starter to the alternator (I think) and another that runs to a fuse box and to the relay... but theres another small cable that runs from the relay to somewhere... is it supposed to go to the little square plug by the positive pin on the starter??

Matt
21st October 2014, 12:54 PM
Trace the cable from the small plug on the starter backwards. My bet is it isn't connected.

Pin 87 is the pin that should goto the starter

pjcp01
30th October 2014, 10:38 AM
All sorted guys,

Had to wire the cable from the relay to another cable that plugged directly into the small pin on the starter. It looks like there must've been a fault in the circuit at some point and someone manually wired up another circuit?? seems quite dodgy.

Thanks for help