PDA

View Full Version : Valve spring options for ST20v with stock cams

AE71GZE
31st October 2014, 04:44 AM
Howdy,

I've tried searching various forums and google with no avail and was hoping some cluey people could enlighten me.

Following the template...

Car - AE86

motor / part in question - Silvertop 20v valve springs for stock cams

problem - I am in the middle of changing out worn valve stem seals and thought I would measure the springs. There are variations of a few mm's + from neighbouring springs so I thought while I am here it would be worth putting in fresh springs. I am struggling to find information on the spring specs and tolerences for running stock cams and was hoping that I could get some advice on what valve springs I should run with stock cams and if it is anything else that would be worth changing while I've got it apart. Any links would to either tech or products would be greatly appreciated.

personal situation (if applicable)- I was considering upgrading cams/cam gears as the engine that came with the car was rebuilt with some JE pistons and lightened/balanced crank but was a bit scared of the breaking in process. I would consider manning up if I could find a decent person/workshop around wollongong to break them in, ect.

Cheers all.

Jimmee1990
31st October 2014, 01:13 PM
Running new cams in doesn't involve anything more than putting some moly lube on them when you fit them, and holding the engine at roughly 2000rpm for 5-10 minutes. Cam choice will depend on what pistons you have though, as the extra compression height can cause issues with piston to valve clearance. Worth finding out, or like you said taking it to someone who has built quite a few 20v's.

Frak
31st October 2014, 07:16 PM
Toda Racing are easy to get and quite cheap.

AE71GZE
31st October 2014, 07:35 PM
Ah right cheers for the reply James, I was reading kelfords articles on the website about degreeing the cam and thought it's probably something I don't want to just give a crack haha.

Yeah thats what I am not sure about Jamie, are the toda/supertech/kelford ect suited to stock cams or are their specs more suited towards angrier cams? I have emailed Kelford but no replies.

Cheers,

Tye

Frak
31st October 2014, 07:47 PM
Toda will work fine with std camshafts.

AE71GZE
2nd November 2014, 12:46 AM
Cheers mate!

Sam-Q
5th November 2014, 09:50 AM
I have Supertech Springs and genuine stem seals in stock, if you are interested send me a PM.