PDA

View Full Version : help removing handbrake cables from ae71

Matt
2nd November 2014, 02:30 PM
Hey guys,

just noticed on my ae71 some bright spark decided to cut the handbrake cables.. Does anyone know how to remove them from the backing plate hub?

Any my help would be appreciated, ived tried knocking the tabs in but it still won't pull thru

Javal
2nd November 2014, 05:37 PM
Yeah they can be an asshat. I usually just push one tab in, cock the cable that way to get the lip of the backing plate to hold the tab in, then rotate, next one and so on until it comes out. Little multigrips with the curved section in the teeth can help too.

skizzamods
2nd November 2014, 10:29 PM
Get a 12mm I think it is, maybe 13, and slip it over it to compress it. Then just pull from the back side of the backing plate

Matt
3rd November 2014, 10:52 PM
I ended up using a small efi fuel hose clamp to hold it long enough to get it out... I've ordered new cables , but stole cables off another car i had temporarily. I also established the reason why the muppet cut the cable, the adjuster was screwed all the way down which effectively locked the handbrake on permanently. I figured this out when it was a bitch to connect up the new cables to the front half section.

The brake peddle is now soft on the first pump, but goes hard on the 3rd press. The booster was bench bled prior to it being re-installed, thinking the drums on the rear need adjusting and then it should be ok.

Otherwise, can anyone recommend where to buy a sleeve kit for the booster / new seals? It has been dry for about a year now.

Javal
3rd November 2014, 11:12 PM
Drop me a PM regarding brake system diagnosis.

Matt
4th November 2014, 11:57 AM
Sorted it this morning, was the rear drums needing to be adjusted.. First push got the shoes close to the drum and the second actually made them work.

LittleRedSpirit
4th November 2014, 03:43 PM
2 Second tip, slip the ring end of a 12mm spanner over the tabs and they all slide in at once, the thing falls apart then.