PDA

View Full Version : RA40 T series (T292) into KE70

ksev20v
9th November 2014, 02:51 AM
Hi all,

I have a slanty front KE70E that originally came with a 4k+auto but now has a 4ac+T50 (gussing from ADM 86). I'm looking into upgrading the rear end to a T Series with a LSD.
Can I use the diff from an RA40 that has a 18R-C+W50/T292? I plan on using the Cusco adjustable trailing arms + panhard rod (if that helps at all).
I'll need to change the center if I want LSD, is there any difference to the JDM Ae86 centers? From what I've read around the place the (stock) axles are going to be too long, can I just use the JDM AE86 ones or will they need to be shortened?

Cheers

dogan
9th November 2014, 10:56 AM
Yes, you can use the RA40 diff in your KE70. I had one in my AE86, it bolted up fine although the trailing arm mounts aren't in the exact same position as the standard diff. I think with the standard trailing arms the diff was pointing slightly up compared to the standard diff but if you have adjustable arms then no problem.

You will be able to fit any T Series centre (AE86, T18, etc) into the RA40 diff but just be aware of the zenki and kouki LSDs, RA40 T series uses the smaller Zenki axles.
I had a TRD 2 way in my RA40 T series, the axles were slightly too long for the 2 way so i just grinded a couple mm off the end of the axle. Im not sure if you could just use ae86 axles as the whole ra40 diff is overall longer (~40mm?)

ksev20v
9th November 2014, 01:58 PM
Thats great news! That'll save me $$ now I don't have to ship a $1600+ diff from interstate. I'm not too worried about shortening the axle, I was just wondering if there was an off the shelf option.
Hopefully straightening it up will be within the limits of the Cusco formula link's range of adjustment...

Next question will be is the extra 40mm or so going to be too wide for a KE. The guards have already been flared a little for the 15x8 rims and its pretty tight with the stock diff. Has anyone tried? or know of a build thread where someone has used this configuration? I want to avoid bolt-on's if I can. I'm not really sure of the limit, though it looks like the rear door might start getting in the way.

Jimmee1990
9th November 2014, 06:32 PM
Generally with T series diffs the non LSD axles are slightly longer than LSD ones, some centres allow for this and you don't need to do anything and some don't and you just need to linish down the ends. RA40 should be the same width as KE70/AE86, RA60 is wider.

You can move the flare up more into the door, but that's a lot of work in modifying it to work.

dogan
9th November 2014, 10:38 PM
RA40 T series is definitely wider than AE86.

IIRC RA40 and RA60 diff are the same minus the swaybar mounts on the RA40

ksev20v
9th November 2014, 11:48 PM
Just checked, it has swaybar mounts on this one 33917
I'll l get out the measuring tape tomorrow and see exactly how wide it is.

corollaart
14th November 2014, 08:02 PM
1410 mm axle face to axle face.Read up zenki ,konki

LittleRedSpirit
15th November 2014, 10:22 AM
Ive seen ra40s with swaybars and without, and even have a cool aftermarket bolt on swaybar kit from one that you could use on t18 or something just as easily. Someone might have added that swaybar, or installed an ra60 diff and adapted the swaybar to the body, who knows.