PDA

View Full Version : SC-14 info

ss2115
14th November 2014, 10:55 AM
Hi.
I'm actually a distant cousin I guess.
I've installed a SC-14 to my BMW 525i Touring and am hoping to get some information from anyone knowledgable on these SC's.

The SC-14 is a neat but tight install to this engine bay.
No intercooling as I'm only boosting 5psi.
I have installed a vacuum bypass valve.

I'm surprised at how much such a low compression is heating up the SC and subsequently the inlet air. Using an IR heat sensor, the air is coming in through a large airbox and 80mm ducting at ambient temp.
Its coming out of the SC at around 95deg C. There's some short ducting to the standard 57mm throttle body where the air has dropped to 85 deg C.
The plastic inlet manifold is reading 83 deg C.

So I'm fighting a heat issue which is knocking off a lot of performance.
So I thought it best to ask if this sort of temp rise is normal for these SC-14's or perhaps I have a faulty one?
I'm using the original Toyota synthetic oil in it.
It spins freely and easily. No noises. Does definetly boost to 5.2psi - tested on a dyno twice now.

I cannot put in an air-air intercooler as I'm unable to duct to and from it.
I've been thinking about how to work in a water-air intercooler but there really isn't even enough space for that as you can see by the attached photo.
Being over 50 deg C I cannot use a wax heat sink either.
Peltier is unlikely to help unless I'm happy to constantly pull 26amps to it all the time.

In theory, this heat rise shouldn't be so great, and feeding 5psi to the engine shouldn't require a intercooler.
Hope someone can provide some info or experience which may be helpful.