PDA

View Full Version : need opinion on a bt20v with 290 302 deg cams

slider4life
24th November 2014, 07:38 PM
Hi guys i've been offered a motor for my ae86 its a built bt20v with 12.5 to 1 comp and a set of 290 /302 cams retainers valve springs ect ect.
It made 174rwhp and 350 nm at 8500rpm in a gt starlet race car.
My worry about the motor is how street able is this going to be and were do you think the power will come on 5000 and above????? Is this going to be good on the street. Or is it too over the top. Has any one actualy d4iven a 20v with such big cams ?? Thanks in advance

Jimmee1990
24th November 2014, 08:36 PM
I doubt it would have much power at all below 5k, but if they know how much power it made surely they would have a dyno sheet somewhere. Have a look at the power and torque curves and base it upon that.

slider4life
24th November 2014, 08:57 PM
Yeah this is the issue the guy selling the motor hasnt had it in his own car so its abit hard to gauge he said he is know in the 86 forums his name is rob miller any one know him???

slider4life
24th November 2014, 09:01 PM
user name is slpery86 on here and hr ect

Frak
24th November 2014, 09:05 PM
First off, I think you will find the 350Nm is actually at the wheels not engine(gearbox/diff torque multiplication), an NA 20V is not going to put out that sort of torque at the flywheel.

I have been for a spin in a NA 20V that put out 132kw at the wheels(177hp) so very similar to the power out you are talking about. Basically it worked between 5000rpm and 8500rpm, below 5000rpm it was slow as and fell into a huge hole, in the 5-8.5K rpm band it was bloody fast, but this was also because it was ina clubman and ultra close gear ratios courtesy of a Quaife 60G 6 speed sequential gearbox with full throttle clutchless upshifting.

slider4life
24th November 2014, 09:09 PM
Thanks frak yeah its a hard decision i agree it will be dead down low i need to decide is it worth having this or going a more mild 20v as this maybe more fun up a mountain??????? Really not to sure

McLEVIN
24th November 2014, 09:13 PM
what if you just changed to smaller cams

slider4life
24th November 2014, 09:26 PM
Yeah this def could be done if it turns out to be crap i did have a bt20v in another ae86 of mine with kelford 272 deg cams and that car was amazing i loved it. So maybe the 290 /302 wont be too bad. Lets face it when your being spirted your not driving under 5k anyway haha

johl
24th November 2014, 10:05 PM
Fwiw I know rob and he has shown me some videos of this engine in action way back before he was selling it and it sounds mental. Im not going to vouch for a motor I haven't physically seen but as far as guys go rob is a genuine bloke and will not rip anyone off. He knows quite a few of the QLD guys as he has bought and sold many parts with us directly. I'm sure there are many others that can also vouch for him

slider4life
24th November 2014, 10:14 PM
Thats what i was chasing people dealing with himas he caught me off gaurd as he dosent want to go through paypal just incase it dosent show up it dose botherme a little about this

johl
24th November 2014, 10:24 PM
i can understand from his perspective as a seller not wanting to use paypal for an item such as this. its too easy to be burnt as a seller if the buyer makes a dishonest dispute. as a buyer i can also see why you would prefer to use it as it offers you the most protection.
he is a legit dude and when he has purchased parts off me it was always a verbal hand shake and he would follow through to his word every time. when he bought his last ae86 off beally, im pretty sure it was the same deal, no bullshit just to the point and pain free without any time wasting.
if you need further character references you could ask craig from Just JDM as rob uses him for parts quite a bit

slider4life
24th November 2014, 10:28 PM
Thanks johl much appreciated yeah i didnt think of it that way. Thanks for your input

Matt
25th November 2014, 07:46 AM
Rob has been around for a while, and there is no reason not to trust him. Personally tho buying this engine to me would come down to price , if ecu is included etc.

finding 20vs out there isn't as easy as it used to be. But they are still 2k.

me personally I wouldn't use PayPal either , but that is more so because of the fees associated with it. Maybe someone close to him can go do a compression / leakdown test?

Still won't cover you 100% but it's better then nothing

dove grey 64
25th November 2014, 08:18 AM
+1 for rob. Solid dude.
I avoid paypal for anything outside of ebay.

bazz84
25th November 2014, 11:29 AM
+1 for rob also,
Bought stuff off him. transfered $500 into his account over night to hold it for me as im currently in sydney. Then mate came and picked it up and paid the rest. Item as described. Few little things were still coming in from overseas and he will post em.
Would happily buy from him again.

slpery86
25th November 2014, 02:34 PM
Thanks guys, appreciate the kind words :)

slider4life
25th November 2014, 10:01 PM
All good and yes thanks i have organised with rob and motor and parts are coming my way :)