PDA

View Full Version : Locks - Boot & Doors

tan18d
7th January 2015, 10:39 AM
Hi All,

My boot lock and my door locks use different keys. Do you know if a locksmith can rekey them to match? Is there any special type of locksmith or is it just any old regular one?

Thanks

djscheppy
7th January 2015, 11:01 AM
can you go to autobarn to order a new set of cylinders ? i did for my ae92.

maybe a good time to invest in some solex locks too for added security.

tan18d
7th January 2015, 11:46 AM
I could get a new set. Toyota actually still have them but it will cost some decent coin as you would need to also change the iginition lock as well to match, unless we can get that rekeyed.

I saw some sets on ebay for a KE70 at a reasonable price but unsure if it all fits on the 86.

Solex locks are cool but i dont like the look of them I want to keep the doors original looking. I'll install central locking eventually so then i dont need the key.

Biggest problem at the moment is the boot as i dont have a key for it. The boot latch is not working so i climb through the back seat to open it :)

djscheppy
7th January 2015, 09:42 PM
ah okay. fair enough. i was surprised they still make them; agree with the comments on solex locks, but its looking like more of a possibility due to theft risks etc

Lexsmaz
7th January 2015, 11:26 PM
Easy job for a proper locksmith, but don't go to a guy that cuts keys & fixes shoes etc, just take out the boot lock only & give them that & your door key & they can sort out the tumblers in the boot lock to match the door key, probably about the 30 dollar mark ..

LittleRedSpirit
9th January 2015, 10:35 AM
A lot of locksmiths will do this onsite for $200-$250 from what Ive heard.

tan18d
9th January 2015, 11:14 AM
thanks guys. I found an automotive locksmith in Beverly Hills sydney that does it. He quoted me 65 for 2 locks if i bring it to him. Awesome!

Matt
9th January 2015, 03:06 PM
Don't waste your money on solex locks, less secure than the factory ones.