PDA

View Full Version : Clutch issue

tan18d
28th January 2015, 06:23 PM
Hi all, I was driving one day and the clutch seemed to get stuck when I pushed the pedal in. So I pulled over to see what was going on. Clutch pedal went in and out all ok but I noticed that there was no fluid left in the master cylinder. I needed to get home so I tried to get it into gear and it was all good. When the clutch is in, it makes a loud screeching sound. When clutch is out, it seems like it is burning and I can see smoke.

Do I need to take the box out to check it out or is it just a matter of bleeding the master and all will be good?

Sam-Q
28th January 2015, 06:49 PM
Take the gearbox out, sounds like a stuffed thrust bearing and pressure plate at a minimum.

This might of been caused by the wrong slave cylinder type or an incorrectly adjusted clutch pedal. Once you get it back together check the push rod from the slave cylinder, it should be a tiny bit loose or in other words not always pushing on the clutch fork.

I have some spare parts in stock that you might be able to use:

http://www.sq-engineering.com/index.php/replacement-parts/by-gearbox.html?limit=all

tan18d
28th January 2015, 06:52 PM
Ok thanks for the advice. Looks like it needs to come out.

Sam-Q
28th January 2015, 07:09 PM
A quick tip for you too, to make it heaps easier buy a 1M long socket extension bar.

The way I drop gearboxes is to under the mount, let the box and engine tilt back and then from right at the back run the long extension over the gearbox crossmember and up to the 2 bolts at the top with the 17mm head. Doing it like this avoids access problems to those two bolts and you can use an impact gun or a ratchet instead of spanners. be careful doing this with a 20V though as the distributor can squash the heater core outlet when it leans back.

After this loosely put in a single bolt on either side of the gearbox crossmember, under the rest of the bolts and tailshaft, watch out for the oil running out once you remove it too.

Let us know what you find when you take it apart.

tan18d
28th January 2015, 08:21 PM
Thanks for the excellent advice. It will be my first time so it will definitely help. I'm assuming all this can be done using a jack and stand.
Checked out your site and parts look good.
Thanks again

tan18d
12th February 2015, 09:47 PM
A quick tip for you too, to make it heaps easier buy a 1M long socket extension bar.

where do i buy a 1M long extension bar. looking around and an 18" (48cm) is the longest i can find.

tan18d
23rd February 2015, 09:06 AM
I finally found some time to start working on the car. I noticed the clutch is engaging fine and if I hold the clutch in half way there is no noise. When I push the clutch to the floor, it's starts making a loud screeching noise.

I put the car on stands and looked at the slave. I noticed it was heavily leaking. I'm guessing I need a new slave. Does anyone know where I can get one of these? I did a quick search and could only find an ADM one for sale. I need a JDM.

Do you think changing the slave will solve my issue or do I still need to take the box out?

tan18d
23rd February 2015, 09:33 AM
Ok found a part for a slave 1983 Toyota T18 TE72 PBR clutch slave JB4126

tan18d
28th February 2015, 09:41 AM
I just took off the slave and the T18 one is opposite to the one I removed. I think the previous owner put an ADM slave on the JDM box. Can someone confirm. The slave is located on the drivers side 34805

Jim621
28th February 2015, 10:42 AM
You have bought an ADM slave cylinder.

Depending on the condition of the chrome on the inside of the old cylinder, you could rips the guts out of the new cylinder and fit them to the original slave housing.

tan18d
28th February 2015, 11:03 AM
I'm searching around and this is what I get for an adm pic.
It's opposite http://m.ebay.com.au/itm/251668995218?cmd=VIDESC

tan18d
28th February 2015, 02:09 PM
Gearbox is out. Looks like the thrust bearing is stuffed as it does spin. I noticed the clutch fork is a little flimsy when it's in there. Is anything missing? 34809

tan18d
28th February 2015, 02:10 PM
Pic inside the box 34810

Jim621
28th February 2015, 02:32 PM
Sorry I take that back - the one you bought is a JDM cylinder. your original one is ADM.

tan18d
28th February 2015, 02:41 PM
Awesome. Thanks jim621