PDA

View Full Version : changing from bigport to a smallport distributor - high tension lead?

rallysprinter
28th January 2015, 10:54 PM
Just changing the ECU in my AE86 to a Haltech PS500 ECU, and advice has been to change the 3 wire bigport distributor to a 4 wire smallport distributor.

I've done this and wired it all ok (I hope) but now I've realised that by using the smallport distributor, I also need to change the dissy cap, which is ok as I have one that looks alright. But I've now realised that my performance plug leads from my bigport dissy now don't fit the smallport dissy as it uses small thin leads. So, I've got some standard smallport plug leads to get it going with, but the high tension lead going to the coil doesn't fit, as the coil uses the old thick leads.

I've been to Bursons, but they don't believe there is any such lead to go from a thick connector coil to a thin connector dissy cap.

Any suggestions on the best way forward to get it going tomorrow? Bursons quoted me $80 for a coil to suit a late model SX corolla, but it doesn't even have a connector for any type of lead. I'm not aware of any smallport 4AGEs at any wreckers down here in Hobart.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Craig

dove grey 64
29th January 2015, 08:13 AM
Get your leads modified to suit your application? Take both sets along and say you want these ends on this lead etc

rallysprinter
29th January 2015, 04:34 PM
Get your leads modified to suit your application? Take both sets along and say you want these ends on this lead etc

Thanks for the suggestion but the auto electrician just told me that it's not possible to join the two types due to the small leads being carbon based.

Anyone know if I get a smallport coil that matches the leads will I also need to change the igniter (using a Bosch 1 227 022 008 at the moment) to suit the different coil?

Matt
29th January 2015, 11:29 PM
Just ring up Magnacore and get custom leads made. Cheap and practically an unlimited km warranty

rallysprinter
30th January 2015, 10:25 PM
I've express posted my leads to the magnacore distributor, performance ignition services, and they are changing the lead ends.

dove grey 64
31st January 2015, 09:48 PM
*thumbs up*