PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here built a 4age 16v?

driftkid23
22nd February 2015, 04:32 PM
Hey I know I'm probably going to get roasted for not looking hard enough or something.
but Ive been lurking forums to see if anyone has actually posted up a nice detailed build of a 16v na
so far all I can find is ones that have cams and itbs & they're pretty much done.

the reason I'm looking is because I'm going to be building my 16v with all forged bottom end, high comp, head work etc. I wanted to see the best reputable brands that I could hopefully buy packages from and try save a little bit of a head ache.
i was hoping I could gather most of the stuff for about 6k

So has anyone here done this? Can anyone send me a link to a decent build with plenty of pictures?

Apologies if I just didn't look hard enough

Slimer86
22nd February 2015, 06:57 PM
Google these user builds xero (on here and hr forum); oldskewltoy; gaijinrunner on club4ag just to name a few.
Google and read through the many build threads on club4ag is my recommendation.
Best of luck, but don't get caught up buying parts without an end goal in mind and on paper first.

Matt
22nd February 2015, 07:25 PM
First of all what is the car going to be used for?

Running massive cams makes it so shit to drive as a daily.

Yager performance in nsw know their stuff and can build you a really wild 4age, but it will cost $$$.

It's always a how long is a piece of string question when these requests for advice come up.

13:1 comp or there abouts, thin head gasket (trd etc), genuine gaskets. ive always used Hastings rings and king bearings without issues. 290-310 degree cams will see it making power up over 9000rpm.

If you want to rev the tits off it, toda gears in your oil pump and upgraded valve springs.

ive seen allot of mild builds 12:1 comp, 270 degree cams etc cost a fair chunk of cash and be on the doors of a 300,000km 20v. Personally I prefer that route over the 16v.

drift kid
22nd February 2015, 10:29 PM
20v for dayz

driftkid23
22nd February 2015, 11:32 PM
It's for an ae86, I plan on building the engine myself so that'll be a bit cost effieceint
haha I just want to build a 16v (honestly not sure why, I just do haha, I have no real power destination. I want it to be good enough for daily use and hopefully somewhat bullet proof.
I was looking at doing everything I could to make it less likely to die.
My plan was for a completely forged bottom end, oil pump, head work and itbs
So far I only have the microtech, silver top itbs, and a couple of little things.
its kind of just snow balled because I broke a gearbox and I bought a w58 then I have to do tarago diff and now I'm trying to make the box and diff worth their time and plus I just done a bare metal respray so I want to make sure when the engine goes back in that everything is as fast as the car looks haha

and thanks guys!
I will scan through those build threads I was hoping that when I bought the whole bottom end I could purchase the most of it from the one place and all the same brand to avoid problems

driftkid23
22nd February 2015, 11:46 PM
Also forgot to mention the car is a semi daily, more hills thrashing/skids but I want to be able to use it for hill climbs as well as drift pracs... So a bit of an everything car

dove grey 64
23rd February 2015, 01:14 PM
James (jimmee1990) has a decent 16v build in the works.
All 4age motors are great but I have a soft spot for 16v bigports.

Jimmee1990
23rd February 2015, 05:28 PM
If you have a 12:1 comp 16v with 270ish cams and old tired 20v's are running away from you, something in the combination is seriously holding you back or it was assembled poorly.

I had a healthy bigport with a shaved head and block and 0.8mm head gasket with the squish gap at 0.7mm, 282 degree cams and a mild cleanup of the ports with good pipes and a pod filter and it was quicker than a friends standard blacktop that had been balanced and freshly rebuilt by me. The 16v cost a fair bit less as well, no conversion parts or kits, motor is substantially less expensive etc. Both cars had T50 boxes and 4.3:1 diffs too, so no advantages there either.

If you want to build it for hills runs and street driving, build it to make power up to 8500rpm. Will be have more midrange, be heaps more usable and you'll probably be faster overall than a really highly strung 16v that makes power past 9000rpm unless you're seriously commited.

zdk554
24th February 2015, 06:03 PM
Sound great would love to see the end result

Bren
27th February 2015, 06:51 PM
What Microtech do you have? I have similar plans for my bigport, but with a stroker as well, and after doing some research I found out that the Microtech is not so good for ITB's because they only have 16% increments for throttle positions, which makes it hard to tune the ITBs. Especially at low revs, idle etc. I was told this be a very experienced tuner, too.