PDA

View Full Version : Motec M4 on bigport 4AGE

Bren
27th February 2015, 04:43 PM
Just wondering if anyone has much experience with running a 16valve with a Motec M4. Currently I have a shitty old Injec EM3 running the engine and I want to upgrade to something better. I have an opportunity to get a M4 for a very reasonable price, so was wondering who else has used one? It is currently fitted to a Nissan Micra, but I am in the process of looking for a base map. At the moment the engine is pretty standard. Apparently has had a fair bit of porting on the head, but with standard cams etc atm. This is unconfirmed at this stage as I haven't pulled manifolds or anything off to check. In the next year or two though I will be building a stroker bottom end, putting big cams in and running silvertop ITBs, so I want something that will be able to support these modifications and I believe the Motec should have no problems.

So has any one else had experience with these ECU's?
Cheers!

Jimmee1990
27th February 2015, 05:52 PM
I would definitely be pulling the manifolds off, porting is basically pointless if you're using standard cams.

My grandpa has one on his smallport in an MG Magnette, and it works very well. Has so much more capability than a 4A-GE will ever need, as they're such a simple engine with so little sensors to run and manage. Any of the higher end ECU's will be able to get a similar result, like I said they are a very simple engine. No VVT, no variable lift etc.

Bren
27th February 2015, 06:55 PM
My biggest concern is tuning with the ITBs. Microtechs are no good for this because they only do throttle postion in 16% increments, which makes cold start, idle, low rpm with part throttle etc almost impossible to get right. Your grandpa has a M400, yeah?

In regards to the porting and pulling the manifolds off, doesn't really bother me at the moment. The rest of the engine is standard at the moment, so whether it is ported or not doesn't matter. It is in a car that weighs around 600kg, so still plenty good enough. When I build the good engine I'll have a look then.

Slimer86
27th February 2015, 08:11 PM
I run an m48 on my 4agte with toda cams and ecu boost control. Perfect drive ability off or on boost. Excellent aftermarket service.
MoTeC more than likely have a start file for a big port, give them a call or email.
The m4 is a little dated now, and finding a tuner may be challenging depending on where you are.
Mine is set for a 4agze crank angle sensor. Wiring diagram and setup calibration pdf for Toyota crank angle sensors are on the website.

Bren
27th February 2015, 08:30 PM
Thanks for that mate. I have a really good tuner here, so I'll have a quick chat to him before I buy it, but I have no doubt he'll be on board. I have emailed Motec regarding the base map, so I reckon I'l hear back on Monday.
Thanks for the advice mate. I have downloaded a wiring diagram for the ECU and a few other things from the website, so I'll jump back on there and look for some more stuff. Thanks again mate!
I know the M4 is a bit old nowadays, but I'm getting it for $350, so it really is a bargain and should be more than capable of what I need :)