PDA

View Full Version : RA40 Disk brake diff.

stuch
12th May 2015, 07:34 PM
I need advice fitting Ra40 Celica GT Disk brakes to non disk brake ra40 Celica diff.

-Purchased disk brakes (callipers and mounting bracket)

-Did not realise I needed a separate drum brake set up that goes under the rotor
Should look like this- http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r305/GA61XX/100_0609.jpg

-I cant find anything for sale on classified pages

-I understand the shoes, pistons, and springs, are serviceable parts and can be purchased brand new easily.

-However the backing plate that houses all that stuff that the rotor goes over I have not a clues about.

-Is this something I could buy from bursons or say repco?

Thanks heaps.

Hen may possibly be a nut
12th May 2015, 08:14 PM
I think you'll be hard pressed to find parts for an RA40 GT. And I doubt Bursons/Repco will have a listing for them (were they ever imported?).

Also be aware that the picture you linked to shows ST141 rear disc brakes, which are used to bolt onto drum braked T series diffs.

One thing I've noticed before is that drum braked diffs tend to have the mounting holes in the Wheel end of the diff tube in a nice rectangular pattern, whereas disc braked diffs have an irregular pattern. If this is also the case on the RA40 then you have no chance of swapping discs onto an originally drum braked diff.

So all in all, while I know little about the gear from RA40s, I would guess that using the well documented ST141 conversion would be much easier and more available than the RA40 gear.

Hen

stuch
12th May 2015, 09:09 PM
Thanks Hen, yes the bracket is an irregular pattern but I was able to drill the holes for it to line up, so I did not think I would have any issues doing the same with the other parts, I will continue looking for st141 parts again then.

LittleRedSpirit
12th May 2015, 09:33 PM
I had ra40gt callipers on my ae86 diff, they bolt on but work different like just ra40 front callipers with little greased wedges to slide on instead of chrome tubes. They were a bolt on for ae86 rear end with the same irregular calliper bracket/backing plate pattern and like 1mm different rotor offset. Point being they would bolt right onto an ae86 disc housing if you have the bracket, calliper and rotor. The handbrake is not a drum its just like ae86 unfortunately.

stuch
12th May 2015, 09:53 PM
The handbrake is not a drum its just like ae86 unfortunately.

I can not see anywhere at all for a hand brake cable to attach though, could you clear this up for me? Regardless I will post detailed photos by lunch tomorrow.