PDA

View Full Version : Broken eart wire with resistor?

Bren
23rd June 2015, 11:56 PM
Hey guys,

While looking around the engine bay tonight I found an earth wire that goes to the inlet manifold, that has a resistor inline, and the wire is broken. Just wondering if anyone knows if I should replace this resistor, or if I can just join the wire with out the resistor? Anything in a bigport 16v that needs resistor to an earth?

http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/1/8/0/1/2/544906.jpg

Cheers

Hen may possibly be a nut
25th June 2015, 11:42 PM
That resistor is definitely not factory fitted. At a guess someone has put it inline with some sensor to do some sensor bending. Maybe the air temp sensor to trick the ECU into thinking the intake temp is lower than it is and therefore advance timing.

Only way to tell is to unwrap the loom and find where the wires go. But if there was a loose resistor just hanging around in the loom I'd be a bit worried about the state of things and taking a closer look at the wiring would likely be a good idea.

Hen

Matt
26th June 2015, 08:47 AM
To put it back, take it out and head into jay car and get it matched up and replace. I agree with hen, not a factory addition. Unwrapping the loom and finding out where it is joined in will help determine what it is. Are you sure it is definitely an earth not just a black wire in the loom.

Toyota earths are usually white/black stripe or brown coloured wires.

Black could be the tacho

Bren
27th June 2015, 12:58 AM
It earths to the inlet manifold. This end is not connected to anything except a bolt on the inlet manifold. I already have replaced it, haven't noticed any change in anything. I don't know much about wiring, just seems strange to have a resistor in an earth to me. I will be re-wiring the whole car eventually, so I will get around to pulling the loom apart and finding it eventually. I would love to do it now, but I have entered an event in less than a month and don't want to risk the car not being drivable :p