kcworks
30th June 2015, 09:46 AM
20v is ment to be 6kg heavier than a 16v so might make up for turbo setup

So 4aget 122kg
Ls1 181kg

kcworks
30th June 2015, 04:50 PM
T50 gear gearbox is about 33kg from reading

But would be having to run a bellhousing and w58 haven't looked at the weight of that

The ls box which is a t56 or hsv version tr6060 not sure of weight t56 would be fine for me

So motor
180kg thats with ac and powersteering which would be removed
52kg to 58kg box

To 4age
122 kg and t50 33kg on basic weight

LittleRedSpirit
30th June 2015, 11:25 PM
Id be looking for hp per kg not hp per litre as a guide for a high performance ae86 motor. 2azfe goes like a 101 gze but weight 111kgs all up. Factor in the weight of a w55 over a t50 and youre at the same weight, except with the weight more centralised. thatw as my rationale.

Up to this point people have turned their noses up at ls1 in a ke, imo with good reason. Are you really gonna be "that guy?"

Hen may possibly be a nut
1st July 2015, 08:17 AM
There's a guy in Vic that's been drifting an LS KE70 for years. The bonnet is cut for the intake. Yes, it can be made to work. No there won't be much room, especially in the tunnel. Yes it can make big power. No, it won't be as light or easy as a 4A

Up to you if you want to do it. Take pictures and report back if you do.

Hen

Matt
1st July 2015, 09:01 AM
Shockworks do a valve kit for their coilovers for the ls motor. It really isn't all that much heavier than a 4age being alloy etc. Similar weight to an sr20

Custom tunnel is a must as the box won't fit in easily, baffles in the sump to help oil flow. Deekin Linfield, Davey Clark and Andrew Worth have all done the conversion. I am in the process of doing one as well.

Using stock commodore mounts it is easy to make work on a ke xmember if u cut off the existing mount points. I am using a commodore tunnel fabricated in my car which complicated things but also simplified them. You can also use a ke70 peddle box and make it work with the factory commodore clutch setup with some modifications.

wiring is easy, I will retain the stock ecu with a mafless tune plus cam. The immobiliser can be deleted , ask any ls tuner to delete the vats. You will need a starter relocation kit as the stock starter fowls on the steering rack uni joints.

If you do this conversion expect the purists to hate it, but the inner bogan in most people will love it. Ls ke/ae cars are amazing to drive , cheap motors which are pretty reliable and easy to get.

kcworks
1st July 2015, 09:56 AM
Shockworks do a valve kit for their coilovers for the ls motor. It really isn't all that much heavier than a 4age being alloy etc. Similar weight to an sr20

Custom tunnel is a must as the box won't fit in easily, baffles in the sump to help oil flow. Deekin Linfield, Davey Clark and Andrew Worth have all done the conversion. I am in the process of doing one as well.

Using stock commodore mounts it is easy to make work on a ke xmember if u cut off the existing mount points. I am using a commodore tunnel fabricated in my car which complicated things but also simplified them. You can also use a ke70 peddle box and make it work with the factory commodore clutch setup with some modifications.

wiring is easy, I will retain the stock ecu with a mafless tune plus cam. The immobiliser can be deleted , ask any ls tuner to delete the vats. You will need a starter relocation kit as the stock starter fowls on the steering rack uni joints.

If you do this conversion expect the purists to hate it, but the inner bogan in most people will love it. Ls ke/ae cars are amazing to drive , cheap motors which are pretty reliable and easy to get.
Thanks for the info even when moving the motor back still need the relocation of the starter
Main thing is cost would be silly not to go down the ls path
As for fab will all be covered

kcworks
1st July 2015, 10:01 AM
Id be looking for hp per kg not hp per litre as a guide for a high performance ae86 motor. 2azfe goes like a 101 gze but weight 111kgs all up. Factor in the weight of a w55 over a t50 and youre at the same weight, except with the weight more centralised. thatw as my rationale.

Up to this point people have turned their noses up at ls1 in a ke, imo with good reason. Are you really gonna be "that guy?"
Well cheap factor come into it

My 4agze now turbo setup was not cheap at all
And be pushing it hard to go 350hp or so

As I sold the turbo,and gate I need to purchase new and bell housing and box
Which is more than the cost of a ls and box
Yes there Will be my time but that is fine

kcworks
1st July 2015, 10:07 AM

My motor build
- was 4AGZE now 4agte<br />
- Balanced bottom end<br />
- ARP everything from main, rod, flywheel, head studs bolts<br />
- Lightened crank took 2.5kg of it <br />
- 440cc injectors<br />
- ported head bigger intake and exhaust ferrea valves formula Altaic ones<br />
- hks valve springs caps and collets<br />
- hks 264 intake and exhaust cams<br />
- hks cam gears<br />
- comtic 2mm head gasket<br />
- custom intake manifold with bell mouths inside vn v8 throttle body <br />
- custom exhaust manifold<br />
- exccedy 5Puck sprung button clutch<br />
- Custom sump with extra 1lt <br />
- Remote mount oil filter and cooler

kcworks
1st July 2015, 10:09 AM
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/06/30/01de8e502bad8b2950c53099134804b0.jpghttp://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/06/30/ff6cdab823d4ceb04ab02535b6270e58.jpg no your average built 4age

Matt
1st July 2015, 02:19 PM
Ultimately one thing I can guarantee is that once the motor is in and running , it will be a blast to drive. $ wise budget 2-3k minimum to get it in and running once you add everything up.

Dropping a ls in will require mods to the car which aren't easily reversed so once you start cutting you can't really go back

kcworks
1st July 2015, 02:31 PM
At min will be 3k for the 4a

Mainly the cost and inking can hit 6 all day everyday with a ls and not have to really worry if it does pop go to the wreckers grab a new one

As for cutting and fabrication is fine will handle it no worries

Just can't find much info on the ones that have been done as for haters :p

Matt
1st July 2015, 07:50 PM
if you plan on revving the arse off it, get an under drive pulley otherwise the alternator won't last very long.

kcworks
1st July 2015, 08:07 PM
if you plan on revving the arse off it, get an under drive pulley otherwise the alternator won't last very long.
Will only be going to 6 or 6200 from the reading I have done for the motor to last a long time
Will last not sure on the alternator but can do

kcworks
1st July 2015, 08:08 PM
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/07/01/f54fa4d13a3cc468f091913807393be0.jpg

Matt
7th July 2015, 11:11 AM
That is the one that Davey Clarke from R&D Mechanical built.