PDA

View Full Version : Question about 1UZFE - 5th Gear, low RPM

qagzie
1st July 2015, 04:47 PM
Hellos,

I was browsing through the forums and i came across this [http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/showthread.php/38025-Any-one-seen-the-1uz-v8-sprinter-in-Melbourne-in-the-flesh]. Below is a post by Billzilla...

Yes, I've gone for a good ride in it.
It's really fast!!

The engine at the moment is basically stock, though it has home-made extractors on it and a Motec M800 with a so-so tune.
But having such a large engine in a little car works wonders - He lit it up in 1st gear just by flooring it, then it spun all the way through 2nd and a little through 3rd.
When it hooked up in 3rd, the car really shoved me back in the seat hard, very hard.
It also stops rather well indeed.
One of the mor impressive things was that he came up to a typical street corner, a 90deg one, in 5th, then drove around it still in 5th at about 800rpm.
The car just pulled away easily, then at about 1500rpm still in 5th it again started to push me back in the seat noticeably.

A mate of mine went in it just after, and he literally couldn't talk for abotu five minutes afterwards, he was that surprised as to how fast it was. Yep, just like in the movies, he stood there shaking his head with his mouth open, not able to reply to people talking to him. Was piss-funny.

Another mate was able to take it for a drive, and he said that it was the only car he'd ever driven that goes the same in any gear. And that is coming from a guy that runs a well setup 4AGTE Sprinter.

It's a blast!

So my question is; How is it possible that the car can be driven at about 800rpm in fifth gear without shaking or stalling? coz that's almost no different from "idling in while in gear".

thanks,

Max.

Futo_gt86
1st July 2015, 06:45 PM
Auto?
If it's manual, close ratio W57\58 1:0.86 fifth gear with 5.something:1 rear end.
Or slipping clutch?

Konakid
1st July 2015, 07:07 PM
they are just a very flexible motor with a lot of torque and low weight chassis.

qagzie
1st July 2015, 07:42 PM
Does this mean that at 800 rpm in 5th, the engine is still making enough power to move the low weight car without stress? would it struggle if the car was heavier?

Jip86
2nd July 2015, 03:38 PM
my brother has a manual vy ss, yes you can get the revs that low and still accelerate cleanly with no shake in 6th IF you are gentle with the throttle. Mash the peddle and the whole car vibrates until the revs pick up over about 1200.

I would imagine in a car that weighs less than half like a v8 rolla it would be barely noticeable.

LittleRedSpirit
18th July 2015, 08:52 AM
In LS1 Utes you can usually put it into 6th and cruise as low as 1000rpm on the highway dependant on speed and final drive.

Torque is great and something that 4a owners have only read about in books. The reason i chose 2azfe is it makes more torque than a 4age at peak torque... at 1000RPM.

Frak
18th July 2015, 03:58 PM
Which is why I went 4AGTE, more power, more torque and pulls hard to over 8000rpm and with the 6 speed sequential box(with clutch less flat shift), it's never off the boil ;)

lolwat
18th July 2015, 09:20 PM
Which is why I went 4AGTE, more power, more torque and pulls hard to over 8000rpm and with the 6 speed sequential box(with clutch less flat shift), it's never off the boil ;)

fuckin mint