PDA

View Full Version : 200hp smallport, fresh build, 5 min drive, half full catch can-dipstick out-oil everywhere.

crunk81us
15th July 2015, 07:25 PM
Hi All,

So I just went for a spirited test drive (new diff gears) and when i got back there was oil dripping from engine.

inspect under the bonnet- dipstick popped out.. and my catch can is half full.

was only a 5 minute drive.

my engine:

>12:1 comp
e85
forgies
bullet proof bottom end
huge cams
max rpm 9500.

I currently only have the original pcv valve on the driver side cam cover venting to the catch can which vents to atmosphere.

The engine probably wasnt quite finished warming up when i started giving it a bit, could the forgies and this cause it?

i did hold fairly high rpm (6-7k) for a while during the rear tyre longevity test.

I am thinking a couple of decent outlets from both cam covers to the catch can.. but my catch can half filled!

any ideas?

tia

Big T
15th July 2015, 08:07 PM
Oil takes ages to heat up even to 60 deg, especially in the cold + e85. Get a temp/pressure gauge if you don't have them already. Forgies can lead to extra blowby when cold. Can you hear piston slap when cold? Aries back in the day were reknown for this but have supposed to have gotten better in the last few years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crunk81us
15th July 2015, 08:53 PM
no not really any piston slap,

but there is a point when idling up to temp where you can hear it change note and idle nicely, its lumpy as hell until this point and then its like it just comes on song.

I was thinking it was the pistons etc getting up to temp and giving the full compression it needs to run properly? could be wrong, might be in the ecu.

LittleRedSpirit
16th July 2015, 08:09 AM
You put the rings in? Seems like your combustion isn't contained.

crunk81us
16th July 2015, 09:24 AM
engine was built by a decent dedicated race engine builder.
leak down perfect, compression good, so far the probable culprit is high revs over oiling the top end as we didnt fit a restrictor to the block.
havent had the issue at any of my races, only once before with sustained high revs. It blows absolutely no smoke.

Matt
16th July 2015, 06:13 PM
When running if you take the oil filler cap off does it make a weird noise?

Big T
16th July 2015, 07:14 PM
Oil weight? Oil drain on head attached?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Slimer86
17th July 2015, 12:00 AM
Oil restrictor fitted into the head? Akin to bmw m3?

Also change of note during warm up likely be due to cold start enrichment from the ecu. Additional fuel during initial start and a tapering of fuel enrichment until ~65'C. Idle will initially be rough and lumpy getting slightly smoother after 5-10 minutes during warm up of cooling system and oil.

bunki86
17th July 2015, 03:48 PM
Assembly issue.
hit up ppl that built it.

Pcv the right way ?
tried running it without pcv, just venting to atmo through can ?

Hen may possibly be a nut
20th July 2015, 12:12 PM
There's plenty of ideas in this thrad, but the one thing that really worries me is the dipstick popping out. Too much oil in the head can cause it to be spat out into the catch can. But I can't see how that would give you dipstick problems.

The dipstick pops out if there is too much pressure in the sump, possibly meaning excess blowby, or non-functioning PCV system. I'd investigate further there, and hope it was just the PCV system that needs attention.

Good luck in any case.

Jip86
20th July 2015, 08:46 PM
E85 makes the car idle rough while cold and then just changes like a switch when it's warmed up a bit. No idea why but I've seen it on multiple e85 tuned cars. So that's relativity normal.

Other than that I'm with Hen.

The dipstick pops out if there is too much pressure in the sump, possibly meaning excess blowby, or non-functioning PCV system. I'd investigate further there, and hope it was just the PCV system that needs attention.

timbo
22nd July 2015, 11:06 PM
Intake side cam cover is baffled below where the outlet is, it could be that it is blocked up and not allowing blow by to pass through properly, thus blowing the dipstick out. I'd take off the hose from the cam cover and feel if there is pressure emitting from there with the engine running. Cover the surrounding area with a towel just in case!

LittleRedSpirit
27th July 2015, 09:38 AM
4age is famous for popping a dipstick out. My 20v even did it once in a while, and it has a shared cam cover not two small seperate ones.

Over time they made the engine designs more and more blowby proof. You could try fitting as vent between the covers and a massive oil drain from head to sump both sides. If your rings and valve stem seals are great, theres not much else you can do.

bunki86
27th July 2015, 10:33 AM
Ive never known a 4ag to pop out the dipstick a normal thing. None of mine or other peoples i know ever did it.

LittleRedSpirit
27th July 2015, 01:33 PM
Rev it harder.

The dipstick doesnt pop out completely it just pops up open enough to let gas escape. In the end I connected my dipstick tube to my catch can as well as the top cover.

bunki86
27th July 2015, 01:42 PM
8500 9000 is hard enough for me. na, blown or turbo up to 28psi. Never once has the dipstick popped out.