PDA

View Full Version : possible high voltage

bazz84
26th July 2015, 11:44 PM
hi all,
intermittently, the battery, handbrake and rear light warning lights go on in my car (jdm zenki trueno). no issues with the car.
Voltage across the battery at idle is about 15.1V and on load it goes upto 15.3 while driving. This seems a little high to me. i know that battery and handbrake lights can mean alternator is on way out. Has anyone else had this problem?
is it possible to buy the regulator for a 4age alternator?

Thanks in advance

Matt
27th July 2015, 09:17 AM
It is internally regulated, short answer is yes you can get them but it is a case of open up the alternator and swap it out. I've never done it, you might find the battery acid in the bay or the battery is swelling if the voltage is too high

14.x is the normal charge rate , so pending the quality of your multimeter (check another cars voltage whilst running ) you may not have a problem with high voltage.

Battery light coming on though is the alternator failing usually. When the light is on does the batt voltage drop to 12?

bazz84
27th July 2015, 09:30 AM
Battery light comes on with the handbrake and the rear warning lights. The voltage is 14ish when it happens. There is no notable difference in the drive. I hardly drive it and haven't noticed any battery acid boiling

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk