PDA

View Full Version : bigport 4age problems

smackdown.exe
9th August 2015, 08:49 PM
Hey guys,got a new hachi and having a few problems getting my bigport 4age to run properly in my ae86. MAP sensor'd

everything hooked up, cranks needs alot of accelerator to get it to fire. when it finally starts it bogs hard and splutters and has absoloutly no throttle response. keep trying to give it some throttle and can get it to about 3000rpm and hold the throttle down and it sounds perfect runs like a champ, smooth as.... let go of the throttle and wants to die and has no responce again etc...

if i go to blip the throttle quickly i sometimes get the occasional quick backfire thru the intake.

so yeah, real shakey. wont idle and runs like an absolute dog... any ideas?

(yes has tvis - have triple checked vac leaks)
Cheers.

Big T
10th August 2015, 03:26 AM
Only does it when cold? Air temp sensor hooked up? Stock ecu?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

smackdown.exe
10th August 2015, 07:46 AM
Only does it when cold? Air temp sensor hooked up? Stock ecu?

Does it hot and cold, car is completely undrivable. stock bigport ecu

bazz84
10th August 2015, 08:28 AM
Check timing

Big T
10th August 2015, 11:30 AM
Check tps.

Matt
10th August 2015, 04:44 PM
does it sound like it is running on 3 cyclinders? Remove1 plug lead at a time to see if the noise of the engine changes. Failing that I'd check timing and for ecu codes. If timing is right and no codes present do a compression test

smackdown.exe
10th August 2015, 10:39 PM
does it sound like it is running on 3 cyclinders? Remove1 plug lead at a time to see if the noise of the engine changes. Failing that I'd check timing and for ecu codes. If timing is right and no codes present do a compression test

Cant even really get it running enough to check this :( im going to say no tho. Will check timing and see whats up there. Would retarded timing cause such a horrible idle etc?

Checked tps and all in spec.

Matt
11th August 2015, 12:23 AM
Yes it will, more so cam timing out than just dizzy. Could even be stale fuel / fowled plugs. High fuel pressure, leaking fuel injectors or many other things

smackdown.exe
11th August 2015, 07:49 AM
Yes it will, more so cam timing out than just dizzy. Could even be stale fuel / fowled plugs. High fuel pressure, leaking fuel injectors or many other things

Alrighty, i will check timing and go from there :)

smackdown.exe
13th August 2015, 06:46 PM
Alrighty have checked timing with diagnosis bridged out. Distributor was out a tooth. Has helped alot but still very very undrivable

10° but very erratic. Stays 10° for 2 seconds jumps to 17° jumps back to 10° for 2 seconds, jumps to 17 etc etc. Unbridged is at 16 but then jumps off scale.

Statically timed, everything lines up and everything all good there so cam timing is right. Positive to say timing side is all good.

A quick hit of the throttle first off wants to kill the motor but then quickly catches itself and revs up.

Compression check was 140-145 across the board

Any ideas where to go from here?

Javal
13th August 2015, 07:14 PM
Check fuel pressure and flow, pull the plugs out and describe the colour.

Matt
14th August 2015, 12:30 AM
Disconnect the tps and see if it runs better. I'd be checking your tps resistance

smackdown.exe
14th August 2015, 06:50 PM
Disconnect the tps and see if it runs better. I'd be checking your tps resistance

Put a brand new set of plugs in it, 5 mins of running, cylinder one is black. Not oily but black, other 3 cylinder look good.

Pulled fuel hose after fuel filter(has new filter) and pumps fuel.
Pulled fuel rail and injectors are working. Unsure of actual fuel pressure tho?

Does not run any better with the tps plug removed. Have a spare tps will swap over tomorrow and check again.

Things i tried today.

Cleaned iscv/throttlebody. New gaskets everywhere
New distributor cap
New plugs
New leads
All sparkplugs are sparking
Coil ok

Will upload a video of the idle in a sec

timbo
14th August 2015, 07:21 PM
Prob carbon build up. Too much fuel, stuck injector?

Timing wise I'd set the motor to TDC, check cam pulley markings line up, remove distributor and check the dimples line up, install and time again to be sure. Can be a bastard sometimes as the dizzy will keep jumping a tooth when installing. I like to do it with the exhaust cam cover off so I can see what I'm doing.

Removing the TPS would allow the motor to keep running but not very well. You'd notice a change if the TPS was the problem.

smackdown.exe
14th August 2015, 09:19 PM
will pull distrubutor again tomorrow and give it another shot, when the motor is tdc, when i line the dimples up on the distributor do i want to set the rotor at where number one on the cap would be?

SPARKPLUG CYLINDER ONE

http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/1/4/8/0/4/545414.jpg (http://s735.photobucket.com/user/smackdownz/media/20150814_164838_zpsrxf69m64.jpg.html)

SPARKPLUG CYLINDER 2,3 &4

http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/1/4/8/0/4/545415.jpg (http://s735.photobucket.com/user/smackdownz/media/20150814_165128_zpsq5y8idqd.jpg.html)

also a video of how its idling, it will idle like this and eventually stall out on its own....

http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/1/4/8/0/4/545416.jpg (http://i735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/smackdownz/20150814_171541_zpsv8k6rr3x.mp4)

if i give the throttle a real quick hit and bring it up to say 2500rpm it misses and backfires and carrys on, if i move the throttle slowly to 2500 not a problem at all......

timbo
14th August 2015, 11:07 PM
Yeah, pretty sure dimples line up with rotor facing number one. That plug looks wet? Oil or fuel? Motor sounds really odd...

Matt
15th August 2015, 09:14 AM
To me your injector is stuck open on cyclinder 1. I'd be swapping the injector to a diff cyclinder to see if the problem moves with the injector. Or for $20 an injector take them somewhere to be serviced off the car.

smackdown.exe
21st August 2015, 04:30 PM
Sorry for the late reply, have been busy at work.

Took injecters out and cleaned. cleaned plugs and no more black plug on cylinder one so that problem is fixed. altho seems to have not helped it running like crap still. im seriously at a loss to what it is...

also set idle again and tried another TPS but hasnt changed a thing still the exact problem i was having before, misses, idles crap, no power etc..

went thru the book and did all the tests to check coil/ignitor etc etc etc all in spec

any idea where to go now?

Matt
21st August 2015, 05:35 PM
Compression test it

smackdown.exe
21st August 2015, 06:38 PM
Compression test it

Have man, 140-145 on all 4

d1staz
22nd August 2015, 02:22 AM
I had similar problems and turned out to be a snapped valve spring. Might be worth checking