PDA

View Full Version : Knock Sensor into 7 Rib Big-port 4AGE

GeeEss
7th October 2015, 09:53 PM
I'd like to wire a knock sensor into my Series 2 N/A Bigport.

I haven't yet been able to confirm this (due to its PITA location) so would like to know if the 4AGE / 4AGZE block castings are basically the same; i.e. if there's a a raised boss+threaded hole at that location on the N/A Bigport 4AGE as-per Bigport 4AGZE.

Can anyone confirm this? If so I will rip a unit off a 90-93 Tarago.

If there is NO threaded hole then I will have to use another aftermarket unit as there's no way I'm removing the inlet & tapping one.

I've heard a Nissan SR20 sensor will do the trick and that apart from it being 1/10 the price of a new Toyota unit - it's a better / more modern design.

I'm asking as I'd like to wire Sensor and a couple of Aux. Loads into ECU this W/E but can't access the car to see which sensor I'll need until Saturday afternoon.

Matt
8th October 2015, 01:26 PM
Will check a bigport block and have a look, but i'm pretty certain the casting is significantly different and you wouldn't be able to add one in the same location due to lack of meat to drill into.

Jimmee1990
8th October 2015, 05:06 PM
Bigport blocks don't have anything on the block to support a knock sensor, in the past to add one I've welded a nut to the side of the block in the factory small-port position.