PDA

View Full Version : 3D Print AE86 Parts

focus_7
19th February 2016, 10:06 AM
Hi all,

In this week's Aldi specials there was a 3D printer available for $500. They were also selling the raw materials needed for printing.

Given that there's more availability for regular folks to do rapid design and prototyping of parts, are there any AE86 enthusiasts putting together databases of 3D models to replace interior plastics and other pieces that could be made with this technology?

Are there any AE86 parts that are able to be 3D printed at all?

D

jamiesbrain
19th February 2016, 11:40 AM
No idea on the printers, but I work in the modeling industry and have the software to create a point cloud and subsequent model of a part easy enough.
Maybe I need to start logging some parts!

We should kick a thread off and give instructions for people to take photos of a part and I can model and post on a public free for use spot in the forum.
I think with project car things there is enough expense already and if we as a group can work together to model some parts that we have laying around, it may help future proof a few of the harder to get ones.

Also if anyone knows of how to get any cad files of parts Toyota may already have floating around and we can put them somewhere.

Just a thought....

LittleRedSpirit
2nd March 2016, 10:44 AM
Be nice to print some brake brackets to test upgrades before having them made.

Slimer86
2nd March 2016, 07:00 PM
Great ideas all round. Check this thread on another forum which has been going for a considerably longer time (see next post)

Slimer86
2nd March 2016, 07:02 PM
http://www.performanceforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67274876

Hen may possibly be a nut
2nd March 2016, 10:40 PM
3D printing is cool, but I think often the hype overtakes the practicality. Given the size limitations and speed of the cheap melted plastic gun printers there aren't many car parts I could think of that I would bother with. Also you need to spend a bit of time learning how to set your parameters and tune your slicer so that the prints actually work.

A friend has a few cheap printers and he has made some usefull stuff, like a GPS mount bracket for his bike and some nice little stackable fuse holders for automotive fuses. But he has also spent huge amounts of time fiddling with them and drawing in CAD.

So while I reckon they're fun to play with they would have very limited real use in the garage. Given how quickly they are progressing though it may be a whole different story in a couple of years.

Matt
3rd March 2016, 08:12 AM
I would love to learn how to draw the 3D models. With abs materials and things like that available now it's a viable option to make small interior plastics or clips. My first experience with them saw the cup holder melt on the first hot day

What software do you use to draw the models?

As for a part to kick things off 1/4 glass window clips. New from Toyota will set u back around $400

Matt
3rd March 2016, 08:14 AM
And definitely I'm keen to host them available for download as I am really getting annoyed at what some people are trying to charge for what should be a $10 part

LittleRedSpirit
3rd March 2016, 09:40 AM
I just paid a little over 200 for 1/4 glass clips new from a Jap ebay seller. Id say that makes them cheap enough not to bother 3d printing, because you really need the little rubber seals too and you cant print those.

I see its place being a test mule for mass produced parts for mechanical systems or adaptation of them from one place to another, or for designing and testing new machines, its not about making anything you want to last at this time.

Hen may possibly be a nut
3rd March 2016, 11:15 AM
You need some form of CAD software to draw things up. I use Solidworks on a daily basis, it can do literally everything you can imagine, but costs stupid amounts. There's also a bunch of free/cheap software that's often more fiddly to use, but OK. Can't think of any names of them currently, but I'm sure Google or 3D print forums can point you in the right direction.

dove grey 64
3rd March 2016, 01:43 PM
There is a guy that 3d prints levin badges for around the cost of good condition 2nd hand genuine one
somethings are best left as a rare item. You lose the fun in finding things when they flood the market with fakes

Jrad
3rd March 2016, 05:48 PM

I'll just leave these here....

Jrad
3rd March 2016, 06:01 PM
No but seriously.

It is possible - but I will clear up a few questions.

No - the printer will not print a beautiful, clean and fresh part ready to use.
Different printers, different qualities.

The one from Aldi (Cocoon create) is a rebranded Chinese printer - the Wanhao Duplicator i3 V2.
It's a small build desktop FDM printer. PLA or ABS printing. Fine for knick-knacks and stuff.

I have experimented and printed quite a bit over the past few years. For a nice quality finish - you need to high-fill prime and sand parts. Fit and finish comes down to your modelling ability.
Some details (such as the ribbing on the console lid) will be lost on a desktop printer.

The cost to buy a printer is greater than the cost to bureau print using a service such as Shapeways. There is no reason someone can't model an original clip, upload it to Shapeways, and have it available for people to order to get printed. We just need a person willing to spend the time and money to do some testing. I have not accumulated enough prints through their service to warrant buying a printer. However it is a new-ish (actually been around since the 80's) technology that is rapidly declining in price and becoming more common and available. I believe Harvey Norman and Officeworks now offer printing too.

Many large companies are investing in it (GE, Airbus, the oil and gas industry, toy makers, tesla/SpaceX) and it's gaining traction as an alternative to mass produced parts. Boeing use hundreds of 3D printed parts in the construction of their planes (given, it is SLS metal printing and waaaaay too costly for us to even bother thinking about) because they're one-off/limited production components that cost too much to tool up for. 3D printers also allow for efficiency in models and manufacturing previously un-manufacturable components

I have tested printing some guard clips and the like. Complete waste of time on a desktop printer (using a CubeX Duo - high end FDM), however were very successful using another process. Unfortunately, I can not show you as it is part of project under a non-disclosure agreement.

As for modelling - I used SolidWorks. For printing, a variety of different software is available - but if you're going through a bureau they'll take your STL files and prepare them for print/layer slicing without you having to worry.
It's all very interesting.

Matt
3rd March 2016, 07:08 PM
The lid off the console and eye lids on the headlights are classic examples of what would be useful to print.

Sure there is a bit of work afterwards, but that is also part of the fun of building cars.

LittleRedSpirit
3rd March 2016, 08:46 PM
I'm not against it I just think its next decade where cutting edge stuff really finds its application. I wanna see an 8 foot bed that 3d prints my kitchen cabinets.

Jrad
3rd March 2016, 09:28 PM
I'm not against it I just think its next decade where cutting edge stuff really finds its application. I wanna see an 8 foot bed that 3d prints my kitchen cabinets.

Guess you'll be glad to hear that they're 3D printing prefab houses now ;)

LittleRedSpirit
3rd March 2016, 09:53 PM
Is it cheaper than building a similar prefab house?

Matt
4th March 2016, 07:32 AM
I agree we aren't there yet where you can take something off the printer and install it, but I also know it is only a few years away.