PDA

View Full Version : 4AGE shim Adjustment

GeeEss
29th March 2016, 08:08 AM
First time I've done this. . .

Bought the correct tool (copy of Toyota / Lexus OEM) but cannot remove the shim as the hold-down tool itself stops the shim coming out.

Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong? < refer photo >

tottacrolla
29th March 2016, 08:33 AM
Tool is correct, maybe turn the camshaft further so that the lobe is 180° from the follower. In the case of the pictured shim all you need to do is get some long nosed pliers and pull it out from the side the photo was taken from. Sometimes the oil film will hold the shim to the bucket and if this happens you just use a small pick or screwdriver to gently lever it away, use the small cutout in the bucket to do this.

GeeEss
29th March 2016, 09:30 AM
Releasing & grabbing the shim from the follower is not the problem - the issue I have is that there's just not enough clearance between the head casting (under the cam bearing cap) and the hold down tool for the shim to move through - it's simply too narrow.

Unless I can somehow work out how to hold the follower down at the back / outer side of the cam shaft I just can't see how to do this w/o removing the camshaft; which I'd really like to avoid. . .

tottacrolla
29th March 2016, 09:12 PM
Ah ok I see the problem !
Here is the tool and if you read the description you will see that the 'S' shaped part is used for locking the follower in position.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SCHLEY-88250-SHIM-STYLE-VALVE-ADJUSTING-TOOL-FOR-TOYOTA-LEXUS-MADE-IN-USA-/262307436734?hash=item3d12bdd8be

I just use use a couple of screwdrivers !

davew7
29th March 2016, 10:57 PM
You can actually remove all the cam bearing tops, leaving the timing belt still attached, [so you do not lose cam timing] then you can pry up the cam for added clearance to remove the shim. I also found that a magnet very helpful in removing the shim, once you break the oil film under the shim. DaveW

GeeEss
30th March 2016, 09:58 AM
Thanks Dave; will give that a try tomorrow. . .