PDA

View Full Version : 4age carb set up

gramacosport
2nd February 2018, 07:54 PM
Hi
I am installing carbs on one of my ae86
Engine 4age, FAT performance head, 12,5 pistons, web cams high lift , peak rpm 8000 .
Originally the engine had a downdraft weber carb( buggy) , now I have installed a pair of Mikuni 44 , original specs( I think 34 chokes, 190 air a 150 main)
Engine has torque at low rpm and doesn’t have top end.
Question??? What carburator set up its recommended to start ???
And what ignition top end set up.
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hen may possibly be a nut
5th February 2018, 11:25 PM
There are many wiser people out there, but things I suspect are:
- If the carbs aren't tuned for that engine then they will never work well. You can play with jet sizes and needle heights yourself until it feels OK, but a good carb tuner will make life much easier.
- You may not have enough ignition advance at high revs. What ignition setup have you used? Programmable or vacuum/mechanical advance?
- Is everything else good? Cam timing? Fuel pressure? etc?

gramacosport
6th February 2018, 07:03 PM
There are many wiser people out there, but things I suspect are:
- If the carbs aren't tuned for that engine then they will never work well. You can play with jet sizes and needle heights yourself until it feels OK, but a good carb tuner will make life much easier.
- You may not have enough ignition advance at high revs. What ignition setup have you used? Programmable or vacuum/mechanical advance?
- Is everything else good? Cam timing? Fuel pressure? etc?

Thanks
Ignition, I left it fix 29 or 30 ( conservative)
Yes I need to start working with the jets and the speed of the venturis( chokes)
I needed some basic start up set up to order those jets and needles
But , everything its ok
The engine its well prepared, good compresion
Thanks a lot

Hen may possibly be a nut
6th February 2018, 10:21 PM
Fixed ignition timing will really hurt. Getting the ignition advance right throughout the rev range and MAP is what will really give you power.

Try googling for what others have used on 1600cc engines with roughly the same sized carbs and chokes. There should be some info around, especially from the rally guys.

Sam-Q
7th February 2018, 07:42 PM
The company called Scorcher used to do a custom drop in standalone distributor for the 4age. These has the traditional mechanical advance mechanism inside.

Running carbs on a 4age is not something I would suggest but it's your call.

gramacosport
7th February 2018, 08:34 PM
The company called Scorcher used to do a custom drop in standalone distributor for the 4age. These has the traditional mechanical advance mechanism inside.

Running carbs on a 4age is not something I would suggest but it's your call.

Thanks Sam
Great respect !!!
But trying to squeeze my AE86 in the class Vintage rules .
I just pull out a black top ( using the water relocator from Sam-Q) engine with adaptronic ecu.
Yes, I have heard of this company, and they produce good stuff, but , I will install either electromotive or NODIZ , so I dont use any dizzy.
Was looking for some solid info from any old school guy , for the set up.
Cheers

corollaart
14th February 2018, 06:06 AM
Just to add to whats been said.

By the sound of them m ods to the engine 45 webers would be a starting point ,remembering that venturi size determines all other jetting.

34MM venturis=1600 cc but 34mm venturis are getting to the usable max on a dcoe 40 with the mods to your engine 45 dcoes would give you more scope.

Second the scorcher set up works really well and simple to set up well worth the money.

As for the carb v injection its a never ending .I have a carbed 4a and love it each to there own.

rob

tottacrolla
15th February 2018, 07:37 AM
Your Freedom ecu can be configured to run carbs.

gramacosport
15th February 2018, 08:13 AM
Your Freedom ecu can be configured to run carbs.

???

gramacosport
15th February 2018, 08:25 AM
Just to add to whats been said.

By the sound of them m ods to the engine 45 webers would be a starting point ,remembering that venturi size determines all other jetting.

34MM venturis=1600 cc but 34mm venturis are getting to the usable max on a dcoe 40 with the mods to your engine 45 dcoes would give you more scope.

Second the scorcher set up works really well and simple to set up well worth the money.

As for the carb v injection its a never ending .I have a carbed 4a and love it each to there own.

rob

Rob
Yes , I am buying bigger venturis 38mm
Kind a difficult to find them in USA
The carbs are Mikuni 44
38 x 4 = 152 fuel + 40 = 190 air corrector
Yes , i have just heard good things about the scorcher, will see if I lean to it.
Thanks for the inputs

gramacosport
15th February 2018, 08:40 AM
Rob
I am installing a NODIZ ignition only with a 36-1 Crank pattern to run the spark
Originally , came with electromotive , but found that the box was not working, so I bought the NODIZ.
Could be better to use the Scorcher ??
Educational question, don’t know to much about that distributor
Thanks