PDA

View Full Version : Fuel system - Inline efi pump questions

Futo_gt86
8th February 2018, 02:58 PM
Car - AE71 Panel Van

motor / part in question - Blacktop 4AGE

problem - Fuel system

occurs/started when (if applicable)- Vehicle fuel system has been stripped / gutted

personal situation (if applicable)-

Hi,
So have an interesting one here, below pictured is the AE71 Panel van fuel tank with custom fab'd swirlpot welded into the tank.
This is what I'm working with.

I got in contact with the previous owner and he told me about the fuel system setup and sent me these pictures.
Was feeding ST20V turbo motor.

1/2" line, single Bosch motorsport pump.
Previous owner stated that with this setup he never had any surge and that it worked great, never had a problem.

Now, my issue...I believe he means it to be a Bosch 044 pump yeah...
I have contacted many suppliers, and I received the same response, that an 044 requires a primary pump to feed it, usually a intank lift pump, and not to be used as a standalone pump. There is no intank pump in my setup, as in, there is no option for intank.

In my research I have read many forum posts about Bosch 044 pumps.
Most stuff i read said that these are pusher pumps, run inline after a primary intake pump, and that you shouldn't run a filter before them, as that can cause issue with the feed.

I'm guessing that he got away with it as gravity feed was enough to feed that 044.
Do you think I will get away with the same kind of set up that was run originally? (Just not with 1/2" fuel line of course)

Or, is there a bosch "motorsport" pump, I can purchase that is a "puller" type pump. (coz if there is, I'm having difficulties finding it). Really, doesn't have to be Bosch, just a decent brand, but needs to be screw in type fittings style.

Any help here would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Ali

Futo_gt86
12th February 2018, 11:51 AM
Looks like I will be going with a Walbro GSL392? external in line.
Any one here running one of these, or has previously?
Let me know what your experience was...

Futo_gt86
13th February 2018, 01:44 PM
Found some interesting info here about bosch 044 and walbro pumps (references Walbro intank, but internal design is the same as external)
https://www.aftermarketindustries.com.au/blog/blogart26

Found Walbro site, GSL392 is overkill for stock 4AGE balcktop, GSL393 150 LPM will do for my set up.
http://walbrofuelpumps.com/walbro-gsl-series-universal-inline-fuel-pumps

Matt
15th February 2018, 07:53 PM
I have ran a bosch 044 in my car without a lift pump, and i was getting surge at about 1/4 of a tank... Many others have ran them with a lift pump in tank without issues.

There are models of Walbro that fit through the tank without issues. Its a tiny in diameter but capable of 200+L an hour. To fit the pump, you basically cut the pipe off the fuel hanger, and add the efi pump so it sits at the bottom of the tank. Use a clamp off air intake piping to hold the pump in place.

Futo_gt86
16th February 2018, 02:38 PM
Cheers for the info Matt, I get what you mean with the intank mod, but I went ahead already and bought a in line Walbro.
I'm now in the throws of getting all the hose, fittings and filters organized.
Don't suppose you would know what size/thread the fuel rail inlet is on a AE111 blacktop motor?
I read off here that a bigport is 12x1.25 - seems big to me
Got info from here:
http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/showthread.php/14718-4age-bigport-Banjo-bolt-fuel-rail-size
Can't find what i'm looking for off blacktop....
**Found a Bigport rail and tested BT20V banjo fitting - screwed straight in, so are the same**
**Tested 12x1.25 fitting - male and fits perfectly**

LittleRedSpirit
24th February 2018, 10:02 AM
Just get thread pitch gauge like all people do and measure it. If you dont have calipers too youll find it hard to match any size on a car. Be more reliable than internet wisdom too.

LittleRedSpirit
24th February 2018, 10:03 AM
Id be worried about getting too hektic and wiping the swirl pot off the bottom of the tank if it was me. Its right in the departure angles radius.

Futo_gt86
26th February 2018, 11:21 AM
Just get thread pitch gauge like all people do and measure it. If you dont have calipers too youll find it hard to match any size on a car. Be more reliable than internet wisdom too.
Yeah funny you said that, I been using one of them gauges I found in a thread and die kit the other day to work out what fittings I need.
Yep, got digital vernier also.

Id be worried about getting too hektic and wiping the swirl pot off the bottom of the tank if it was me. Its right in the departure angles radius.
Thats a valid point, and I will take that into consideration.
It will make do for now just to get car running.