PDA

View Full Version : KP61 spring issue. Can you help?

ZEROPILOT
5th March 2018, 09:00 PM
I have a 1981 KP61. I live in the United States.
My starlet has been previously lowered. It is VERY low, indeed. So low that I experience tire rubbing on occasion. I want to replace the rear springs. But I can't find any for an early RWD Starlet. Does anyone know of a more common vehicle that has those same small diameter springs that I could use instead?
I've looked at COILOVER kits. But, frankly, I have thousands of dollars both in the cars purchase and just getting it on the road already. So at this point, it's necessary to keep it on the inexpensive side. The solution to gain an inch of height would have to be relatively inexpensive.
Thank you for any information that you may have.
Ed

davew7
5th March 2018, 11:33 PM
Ed
The older Starlets are few and far between in the USA! Call your local pick and pull, and ask them to look in the Hollander to see if any other vehicles used the same spring. You may have to fabricated a spacer to increase the ride height. Is it possible to trim the inner fender lip? davew7

ZEROPILOT
6th March 2018, 01:10 AM
I have some of those rubber coil spring "booster" things that you slide in between the spring coils to get more height/less travel. They don't fit well....Are way too large in diameter and I'm sure will pop out if I ever get airborne over a pothole, etc.
BUT, I'm thinking about cutting them down and using them for new spring seats, underneath the springs. That sounds like a good and at least semi permanent fix. Besides. I want to take out the springs for a good inspection, anyway. maybe a sandblast and quick paint job too. Then some new shocks. I think the springs AND the shocks may be 1981 vintage.....
The fenders are flared. The wheels are custom offset jobs. I don't need much extra height. seriously, just about an inch.

ZEROPILOT
9th March 2018, 11:14 PM
I may have just found some NOS coil springs...............

ZEROPILOT
16th March 2018, 03:43 AM
These are coilovers from a 1969 Datsun 510.
They seem to work