PDA

View Full Version : Fuel "check valve" in line? Some clarification?

ZEROPILOT
19th April 2018, 08:33 PM
Whenever my 4A-GE powered KP61 sits for a while, it takes several seconds for it to start up. The engine spins without the engine starting. When it does start, it sputters for another moment, like all of the gasoline has drained back into the fuel tank. Is there some sort of a check valve in the system? Is there something I need to ad to mine? (My engine and F.I are stock early AE86 parts. I have an aftermarket fuel tank and lines.)
Can anyone describe to me what failed component I have? If any. Maybe with a photo....
Thanks

davew7
19th April 2018, 10:42 PM
The stock Toyota fuel pump has a built in check valve, to prevent drain back in the fuel system. My guess is that you have particles in fuel pump check valve seat area preventing a good seal. l would just crack the fuel line connection at the injector manifold first, to verify that you have loss pressure before jumping in and removing the fuel pump. Which is a real PITA. It could be the cold start injector or sensor. Davew7

ZEROPILOT
30th May 2018, 10:20 PM
Dave, I have a later model engine in my car with fuel injection in place of the old, carburetted one. It has an inline, external fuel pump now that's easy to get to. However, I placed an aftermarket one way check valve in the line and it still takes several seconds to start and when it starts it's initially very rich.
Now, I'm thinking that my injectors are leaking down.
(Once it starts, it runs pretty good.)

ZEROPILOT
2nd June 2018, 02:52 AM
I've removed the "cold start" hoses and plate from the throttle body. It was full of rust and mud anyway. It's seldom very cold here.
Would not having that still make the car start the way it does?