PDA

View Full Version : 16v 4age or 20v 4age?

ae86 boy
17th July 2009, 09:22 AM
hey everyone.
im looking for a 4age for my ae86 but i dont know to get a 16v or a 20v.
i have the money to buy both of them and spend money on the motor.
but can anyone tell me the pros and cons for the 16v?
the pros and cons for 20v?
and what power those a 16v make and a 20v make?

xero
17th July 2009, 09:32 AM
why not a 1uz? i hear thats a direct bolt in and goes really good..

ae86 boy
17th July 2009, 09:56 AM
Im on my red p's mate cant drive turbos or v8s..
thats why i created this thread cause people are telling me either get a 16v and other people want me to get a 20v. so i need to know which is better and which is worth its money.

Gunner
17th July 2009, 10:09 AM
lol he wasn't serious, a 1uz is a mission to get in an 86

firstly though, use the search feature, and you will find the answers you want, and most people on here won't help you till you have done so.

The 16v is the easiest and therefore the cheapest conversion, the 20v, requires alot more work, and therefore money.

The 20v requires you modify the ignition system as the dizzy will hit the firewall, the water outlets on the back of the head also become an issue, as they also have very little clearance, so you can do it dodge and bash the firewall, and run radiator hoses to the back of the engine bay, or you can buy a rwd water housing conv.

Basically, if you don't know what your doing, but have your heart set on a conv. get somone else to do it and either spend alot on a 20v, or not so much on the 16v

paulv
17th July 2009, 10:38 AM
You may find you have yet more decisions to make..
If you go the 20v route, you will have to decide Silvertop with a airflow meter, or Black with a MAP. 20v power very roughly will be around 110 - 120 kW.

Perhaps let us know exactly what you are hoping to achieve, and your question may be easier to answer.

Are you hoping for a quite economical modern engine? Are you hoping for the max power?
Are you hoping for a quick changeover - minimum of tool time to make the change?
Are you looking for the cheapest option?
Are you hoping for a highly customised setup, one of a kind, that you can tell stories to your mates about?

riceburner
17th July 2009, 11:12 AM
buy one already converted... will save u a fair whack of work. unless u want to build a project..? even then its WAY cheaper to buy something already converted then use it as a base to from from..

chrisjjanfd3s
17th July 2009, 03:10 PM
Hey mate im currently in the process of doing a 20v conversion. Not really as hard as some people might have you believe the fact that the gearbox bolts up to the engine and the 4ac engine mounts bolt up to the 20v makes it much easier than most conversions. The main things to worry about are the ecu and water system, i chose to use a yager performance water relocation kit (only costs $150, and is very simple to install) and instead of using the standard ECU i chose to run a microtech LT10S which is x10 easier to install and will allow me to run virtually any engine mods.

A nicely tuned 20v with an ECU, cams and extractors will put out about 105kw to 125kw depending on the cams.

A 20v conversion is pretty expensive, with basic conversions costing about $4000 ive probably spent $6000-7000 doing most of the work myself but this includes the LT10s and a set of cams.

If you have any questions regarding the 20v conversion id be more than happy to answer them via PM

Golberg
18th July 2009, 12:42 AM
I personally think that a JDM 16v AE86 4AGE is the best bang for buck conversion. It realistically shouldn't cost you more than $4000 if you do just about everything yourself.

In saying that though after having screwed around using second-hand unrebuilt engines it sucks arse. If I'm going to convert any more cars I will not bother with any engine unless its been rebuilt. I mean stripped down cleaned (especially if its a JDM motor), bearings replaced if necessary, rings, all new seals etc etc. There is nothing better than a freshly rebuilt motor, you just can't beat it.

redsprinter
18th July 2009, 01:43 AM
amen golberg.. im on the same boat . have spent too many weekend installing a secondhand engine to only rip it out after a month or 2 ...

rebuilt 4age imo is a must for anybody seriously thinking about doing some fun driving ... the out lay is more but the advantages over come the negatives

ae86 boy
18th July 2009, 11:31 AM
You may find you have yet more decisions to make..
If you go the 20v route, you will have to decide Silvertop with a airflow meter, or Black with a MAP. 20v power very roughly will be around 110 - 120 kW.

Perhaps let us know exactly what you are hoping to achieve, and your question may be easier to answer.

Are you hoping for a quite economical modern engine? Are you hoping for the max power?
Are you hoping for a quick changeover - minimum of tool time to make the change?
Are you looking for the cheapest option?
Are you hoping for a highly customised setup, one of a kind, that you can tell stories to your mates about?

im just looking for a 16v or 20v to put in my ae86 so i can drive it everyday.
so i can get rid of my 4-ac and have some more grunt. People have asked me am i going to be drifting but ive said not till a couple years or so cause right now i just wanna use my car for everyday use. people have told me that 20v is the way to go but you gotta have the money for that but i wont have over $4000 to spend for one since my car is getting resprayed soon, flared guards, trd wing getting moulded into the tailgate and then ill get the motor.
i just wanna get a 4age cause ive loved them since i was young and my 4-ac doesnt have much time to live since its done over 200,000kms.
im not going to cusstomise the motor, just want a 4age just to fit into my ae86 so i can drive it anyday without spending big bucks on the motor.
thanks for all the comments im still looking for some help finding a motor since this is my first car and i wanna enjoy it for a couple years.
cheers
michael

rolla92
18th July 2009, 11:37 AM
if your on your red P's in Brisbane you cant do a engine swap anyway. not allowed mod plates on your P's.

marvis
18th July 2009, 12:15 PM
Agreed.

But just do it. Most the cops won't know anyways.

Delazy
18th July 2009, 07:36 PM
A nicely tuned 20v with an ECU, cams and extractors will put out about 105kw to 125kw depending on the cams.

on a massively happy dyno maybe...

rthy
18th July 2009, 09:18 PM
shootout mode, no probs 130kw atw stock

ae86 boy
19th July 2009, 07:19 PM
should i just stay with the 4-ac or just get the 16v 4age?
cause ive got money to spend and i want a 4age for my hachi..
need more help guys im stuck with this and i want a 4age lol..
and im in no time to rush just need your suggestions.

Gunner
19th July 2009, 07:31 PM
learn to drive, and how to get the most from the 4ac, and your 86.

Spend the money doing a few trackdays, or defensive driver training.

You need to learn power doesn't always equal fun.

Anthony
19th July 2009, 07:57 PM
lol at 130kW.

I would take an unpoened good condition engine over a locally rebuilt one any day. If you try and do your typical low dollar freshen up on late model japanese motors it just doesnt seem to work.

Out of over a hundred engines dealt with I could count the motors that were installed and had problems on one hand, and the number that had problems with in a few months on two.