PDA

View Full Version : 4age head removal

AE86DORI
20th July 2009, 10:20 PM
Hi
Got a basic idea pulling off the head but before i jump straight into it and round a bolt or something, any advice?
Also what tools apart from the usual might i need.
Thankyou

ke70dave
20th July 2009, 10:29 PM
a 10mm 3/8 drive LONG socket to get the head bolts un-done is a must.

it has to look like this

https://www.royalsupply.com/store/pc/catalog/WRI3516.jpg

with no step in the design.

if it has a step it wont fit down to where the head bolts are.

the rest is straight forward, just grab the manual off the net and follow it through.

jaz_ae86
20th July 2009, 10:31 PM
Go to toyota and buy a blue 4AG manual - best to get the one for AE93. Mine is for the MR2/AE92 type and not quite the best. Full of useful info like torque setting and how to take things apart and put them back together (its up to you to do it correctly).

About $30 when I bought mine. Best $30-$40 you will ever spend. No here-say, belief's, opinion's and bullshit. Toyota goodness.

trikzlane
20th July 2009, 10:39 PM
Go to toyota and buy a blue 4AG manual - best to get the one for AE93. Mine is for the MR2/AE92 type and not quite the best. Full of useful info like torque setting and how to take things apart and put them back together (its up to you to do it correctly).

About $30 when I bought mine. Best $30-$40 you will ever spend. No here-say, belief's, opinion's and bullshit. Toyota goodness.

+1 i have one and its the best ever i now now my engine all over

Golberg
21st July 2009, 02:14 PM
You realise that one of the Toyota 4AGE books (AE82/AW11) is hosted on the internet in various places, so you need not even buy it.

If anybody wants a link, I'll dig one out.

blinded
21st July 2009, 06:55 PM
Should dig up a link Golberg and post it in the FAQ for future references (providing people search for it). Can see it being very handy for alot of people.

blake.
21st July 2009, 07:11 PM
agreed, golberg can ya find that link?

ke70dave
21st July 2009, 07:20 PM
alternatively ppl could learn to google things, and not expect a single website to put information on a spoon for them.

aproximately 23 secs of googling

http://manualfile.com/?category_name=Automotive/Toyota/Toyota-4A-F-4A-GE-Engine-Repair-Manual

90mb, right click - save as the "download" button

also it is recomended that if you are going to be following the book setp by step it is MUCH easier to have a hard copy. so you can refer to it while working on the car, not having to check the computer while your all greasy.

if you are just using it for refernce (torque settings etc) then the pdf should be sufficient.

enigma
22nd July 2009, 03:29 PM
im currently in the process of scanning the smallport version of the rm163e . ive done the engine mechanical section so farbut i still got heaps to go.

Golberg
22nd July 2009, 05:14 PM
also it is recomended that if you are going to be following the book setp by step it is MUCH easier to have a hard copy. so you can refer to it while working on the car, not having to check the computer while your all greasy.

This is true, I printed out the entire book then bound it. But its also convenient to have a shitty old laptop in the garage which doesn't matter if it gets greasy.
Useful for looking up things on the net whilst you're in the garage.