PDA

View Full Version : Brake pads a pressed agaisnt rotor.

Low Style
22nd July 2009, 01:36 PM
hey guys,

got a issue the brake pads are pressed right up agaisnt the rotors when the are isnt moving.

what can i do to stop this from happening

the rotor is straight and the pads have a heap of meat on them.

Jonny Rochester
22nd July 2009, 02:18 PM
Jack the car up and try spinning the wheels by hand. Are you saying the brakes are stuck on, and the wheels won't spin free even with the car jack up?

If so, something is sticking in the front brakes. It could be a seized brake piston, or seized slider, or brake pads are stick to the holder somehow.

Either way, it's best to take the whole brake off, and dissasemble the caliper. You will know soon enough if the piston is stuck in the bore.

Clean everything with brake cleaner. Only use rubber grease, not wheel bearing grease.

Low Style
22nd July 2009, 02:31 PM
the wheels spin but it rubs a fair bit. ( when jacked up)

i will pull them apaprt tonight thanks for the ingo jonny

DR86TY
22nd July 2009, 03:16 PM
to many brake jobs :)

resol
22nd July 2009, 04:26 PM
the brakes should have some degree of rub to them. spinning them by hand with a bit of force you shoulde get a couple of rotations from the wheel. but dont expect some free spinning wonder wheel...

if they are rubbing a lot, more then normal. then take the calipers off and push the pads back in out. use a large spanner or something (make sure its clean). then pump the pedal until it feels firm again (do not drive before doing this). is that doesnt help then bleed them aswell.

-dan

Low Style
22nd July 2009, 04:55 PM
thanks resol.

yeah i know brakes have some rubbing but these its hard to force the wheels around ( i have driven this car. and it feels like the brakes are stuck on.

cky767
23rd July 2009, 12:53 PM
mine did the same thing recently, the bore was all pitted and just in shit condition, the piston was coming out straight but trying to go back in on a slight angle and jamming. should be pretty well smooth on the inside, get some decent rubber grease too like johnny said