PDA

View Full Version : ae71 front coilovers

blake.
25th July 2009, 10:06 PM
hey guyses,

i was told by roll3r that i can use ra60 struts and corona lca's to corect camber.

any other info you guyes cangive me before i go out spending?

any advice will help :)
thanks

kiahn
25th July 2009, 10:18 PM
why not buy ae86 struts??
they bolt straight up with no screwing around and have countless parts available for them

blake.
25th July 2009, 10:22 PM
ohk,

and can i also assume that of the shelf aftermarket coilover for a 86 will fit to?

Sherlock
25th July 2009, 10:37 PM
Yes, with either XT130 Corona or AE86 Steering arms (If you can get a hold of some Power steering arms from an 86 then you get more lock ;) )

kiahn
25th July 2009, 10:39 PM
i don't know if you will need to get top hats off an ae86 but i dont think you will need to.
im going to do the same thing early next year so let me know how it goes, also while you got the shocks out you should get some adjustable camber tops, just for fun.
oh and a bonus with ae86 struts is you get a brake upgrade and can buy any ae86 brake kits to put on :))

goodluck with the conversion mate

blake.
26th July 2009, 01:24 AM
thanks guyes, sum great help :)

i want power steering arms ;(

kiahn
26th July 2009, 02:20 AM
yeh you will be able to turn on a dime if you have them
just make your once you put them all in you take it to suspesion place to get it all tuned together otherwise you will be changing lanes

todd
26th July 2009, 02:31 AM
yeah u dont need ae86 top hats/plates. the pins are the same width.
keep the ae71 items if anything, because they will give u a touch more castor compared the 86 ones.

v-tec
26th July 2009, 08:41 AM
Word of advice, dont go Ra60, they are mega gay in an ae71.
Ae86 is the ticket

Golberg
26th July 2009, 09:53 PM
I don't know why there seems to be this conception that RA60 struts are good in an E7.

They are crap, they are a poor solution, and I'd never run them.

The only thing of any real benefit is the larger breaks, but they do not suit the geometry of the suspension at all.

If you're after a cheaper solution than 86 struts, XT130 struts aren't bad, at least you have the chance of some negative camber as opposed to RA60 ones.

kiahn
27th July 2009, 01:44 AM
in my opinion, get some ae86 struts with power steering arms, throw on corona xt130 LCA's and you have got yourself a decent amount of camber and have the possibility to update brakes easily

Konakid
27th July 2009, 02:14 AM
bingo

VikingDrift
27th July 2009, 10:07 AM
yeah no need for the struts, just lca's if all you want is more camber

Rip it
27th July 2009, 09:36 PM
in my opinion, get some ae86 struts with power steering arms, throw on corona xt130 LCA's and you have got yourself a decent amount of camber and have the possibility to update brakes easily

Thats it!! Couldn't be said any better!! Leaves you so many options for coils, inserts, brakes, camber tops..................The list goes on!!

ROLL3R
27th July 2009, 09:59 PM
I havent had any problems with RA60 struts in my Ae71, The struts them selves were actually out of a TA63 carina, but same same really except for the pwr steering arms. The struts have been converted to coilovers using 8kg kingsprings and custom made rally spec shockers. The setup consists of Kmac caster/camber tops, Sigma LCA's, Custom Tierod ends. The camber is set to 1.5 neg. This setup works well in conjuction with whiteline sway bars front and rear also adjustable panhard rod, nolathane throughout car, 6kg custom rear springs with custom made rally spec shockers, utilising a T18 diff running 1.5 way LSD. I do run 215 up front and 235 at the rear if that helps. I've built the car for hill climbs, better known as spirited drives up and down local mountains. I used theses Struts as i had them sitting round after i sold the carina :cries: I'm still playing around with the Alignment to get the right feel, but the only thing i will say is that at high speed 160+ on a straight road the bumpsteer is a bit iffy, But i am looking into correcting this, though it doesnt really phase me as i rarely do straight lines, im more into the wiggley ones... :hehe: Hope this helps as i know ae86 struts are these days overly priced and hard to come by. :thumbup:

jay70
27th July 2009, 10:04 PM
xt130 struts are a better choice than celica struts. not as expensive as 86 struts, bigger brakes than 86 and won't rape your suspension geometry as much as celica struts

kiahn
28th July 2009, 01:13 AM
but there isn't as many aftermarket options available for the xt130 struts
lets not confuse him, i gave him the most common and the easiest option which will also give him the biggest gain.

if you are going to be using this car on street and track or even just street, i would go for some camber tops rather than the corona LCA's because the camber tops are adjustable not permanant.

blake.
28th July 2009, 11:08 AM

i'll go with that,

thankx mate :)