PDA

View Full Version : 20V - aftermarket cams

Grant #2
1st August 2009, 06:48 AM
Hey guys,

Searched around a bit and didn't quite find what I was looking for.

Do any of you have experience with some of the non-name brand 20V cam manufacturers? I'd like to get something with more duration and lift, but retain VVT and not break the bank. I'd buy some used Toda's if I ever came across some that suit my needs. So far I've come across CAT cams and Kelford cams in NZ. The Kelfords aren't that cheap at about $630 USD plus shipping and duties.

I'm also looking for a cam that would work well in a 7a bottom end with 20V head if I can ever afford to mess around with that.

Cat cams has a page on 20V springs....they claim that the 20V is good for 9.5mm of lift before aftermarket tappets or springs need to be used. Springs bind at 10.5mm or so according to them. Is this good info I can go off of? Kelford recommends springs with any of their cams, but I'd rather not as my engine is pretty low mileage.

Thanks for any input!

sprint86
1st August 2009, 09:26 AM
junmp onto the camtech website, they make 20valve cams to suit your requirement im pretty sure!

Grant #2
1st August 2009, 09:49 AM
The 20V section is off line :(

shelldrake
1st August 2009, 10:20 AM
Clive cams in Melbourne do 20v cams. They are just as good as any cam manufacturer - They have brand new billets that can be ground. They had a few profiles there - The one I got was around 270ish with about 9.5mm lift (From memory) and retained vvt function... I hope you have an after market ecu to really make the most of the cams though. I think they were around 600 for the pair....

Grant #2
1st August 2009, 10:48 AM
I'll probably use factory ECU for a bit until I can afford a stand alone. That way I can get it tuned once. So you have no complaints about those cams? Is that 600 AUS or USD?

Ideally I'd get some cams with short duration, and high lift...as long as the ramp rates are severe. We've discovered here that that's the best for emissions and streetability.

ae71
1st August 2009, 11:14 AM
Clive cams in Melbourne do 20v cams. They are just as good as any cam manufacturer - They have brand new billets that can be ground. They had a few profiles there - The one I got was around 270ish with about 9.5mm lift (From memory) and retained vvt function... I hope you have an after market ecu to really make the most of the cams though. I think they were around 600 for the pair....

this isnt quite true. while quality maybe able to be compared to be "as good" why would a manufacturer such as one of these small operations be as good as a much bigger company such as TODA which have a long history in tuning 4ag's, 3s and N/A honda's? why does one set of cams with the same lift and duration make more power then others? i seriously doubt that they have the R'n'D the ramps of the lobes, lobe shape as the bigger companies with bigger budgets..

i got a set of new toda cams for a customer. the finish of them was amazing, they came with a diagram showing there ramping etc (all in japanese ofcorse lol) id think these to one of if not the best cam company for the 4ag.

Grant #2
1st August 2009, 11:32 AM
If I can get the cams for half as much as Toda, then I'd be willing to accept inferior performance. If the price isn't that far, I might have to save my pennies.

USD -> AUS is not very favorable for us at all right now.

Grant #2
1st August 2009, 11:33 AM
Some 4-5 years ago I had a friend that was able to get an Autronic for 1/2 price when the exchange rate was really favorable for the US dollar. We may never see those days again ;)

shelldrake
2nd August 2009, 09:45 AM
this isnt quite true. while quality maybe able to be compared to be "as good" why would a manufacturer such as one of these small operations be as good as a much bigger company such as TODA which have a long history in tuning 4ag's, 3s and N/A honda's? why does one set of cams with the same lift and duration make more power then others? i seriously doubt that they have the R'n'D the ramps of the lobes, lobe shape as the bigger companies with bigger budgets..

i got a set of new toda cams for a customer. the finish of them was amazing, they came with a diagram showing there ramping etc (all in japanese ofcorse lol) id think these to one of if not the best cam company for the 4ag.

You're right, profile shape is important. :)

Can you vouch for the quality and profile shape of other manufacturers comparitive to TODA? Most of these camshaft companies didnt just pop up overnight - They have some idea about what they are doing...

They use the same machines, the same material and the same processes to make camshafts. I believe the profile I had ground was actually ground from(Profile copied) a proven cam grind from Japan. When I had my old 2tg hybrid, I had a TRD grind done from them. Cams are just lumps of metal ground to a particular shape. Profile shape is obviously important - But if two manufacturers have the same specs and one of them can do the same thing but for half price with no apparent adverse effects, why wouldn't you. When ground, the supplier should supply a card showing all the timing specs required to install. Duration, lift at 50 though, Opening and closing timing, etc.

Sam-Q
2nd August 2009, 11:13 AM
You're right, profile shape is important. :)

Can you vouch for the quality and profile shape of other manufacturers comparitive to TODA? Most of these camshaft companies didnt just pop up overnight - They have some idea about what they are doing...

They use the same machines, the same material and the same processes to make camshafts. I believe the profile I had ground was actually ground from(Profile copied) a proven cam grind from Japan. When I had my old 2tg hybrid, I had a TRD grind done from them. Cams are just lumps of metal ground to a particular shape. Profile shape is obviously important - But if two manufacturers have the same specs and one of them can do the same thing but for half price with no apparent adverse effects, why wouldn't you. When ground, the supplier should supply a card showing all the timing specs required to install. Duration, lift at 50 though, Opening and closing timing, etc.

well that and the known result of your combination compared to my engine on the same dyno with simular mods all bar the cams. So know how well it works. So do you still have that dyno graph for me?

AE71: I am with shelldrake, these are a decent grind and work very well.

Grant #2
2nd August 2009, 12:24 PM
What duration and lift are you guys using? How much do Clive cams go for?

DAMO46
2nd August 2009, 12:47 PM
these are my cams, does anyone know if i will retain the vvt with these cams? btw for those who cant read lol toda 288 9m lift
http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/2/6/8/2/19791.jpg

4000GT
2nd August 2009, 12:51 PM
You wont be able to "use" the engine with a big cam and stock ECU. Just save and do it properly...

I have the 288 Kelford Cams and Supertech Springs, running a Link ECU. Bottom end to be built yet...