PDA

View Full Version : which oil for TRD LSD??

shortround
4th August 2009, 03:26 PM
CAR - ADM AE86
MOTOR - smallport 4age
USE - collecting the dust in my garage
PROBLEM - not sure which diff oil to use!
OCCURS/STARTED WHEN - I lost contact with the workshop from which it was purchased
PERSONAL SITUATION - The diff is in the process of rebuilt, so I need to buy some oil soon.

Hey all,

A while ago I bought a TRD 2-way LSD from a workshop in Japan. It had just been rebuilt, and shimmed up. It's got a 4.7778 final, and is all assembled in the carrier. I am in the process of rebuilding my diff, and am almost ready to install this badboy.

Now when I bought this, the dude who sold it to me specifically recommended getting 140w oil (not 85-140?), because of how tightly shimmed it is maybe? I can't remember if he said to go with SIN or SAE? I guess it would have been synthetic...

I have since lost the contact details of the workshop to clarify.... So, any recommendations?? What would be the best oil for this situation?

After seeing that the TRD LSD oil is synthetic 85w140, I was looking at this penrite stuff: LIMSLIP 85W-140 (http://www.penriteoil.com.au/products/gear-oils/limslip_85w-140)...

Thanks in advance,
Andrew.

70XIN
4th August 2009, 03:47 PM
shortround, i'm pretty sure the stuff you mentioned (limslip 85W-140) is the stuff robo uses with his TRD 2-way

i think i remember him using some competition diff oil too, but as AJPS said, the penrite stuff is great

shortround
4th August 2009, 04:00 PM
thanks for the quick response guys!

Dave >> Being a LSD gear oil, wouldn't it not need the additive??

7OXIN >> Possibly this? CLICK! (http://www.penriteoil.com.au/products/gear-oils/competition_diff_oil) That was the other oil I was looking at, but is it a problem that it's a mineral oil?

Tim.duncan
5th August 2009, 08:30 AM
i have a 2 way trd lsd and with out the additive it wants to lock up at low speed ie reversing out of the drive way and you may as well just have a "cig" locker. dont worry you will still get sick angle and to skids bro, just makes daily driving that little bit nicer

i used the penrite oil and additive.

quick tip apparently its a good idea to head out to a open space (carpark) and do some figure 8s in reverse this helps move the oil up into the shim plates allowing everything to be lubricated properly (please note i do not condone doing figure 8s forward while smoking tyres......... but it is allot of fun!)

NIZLAH
1st November 2009, 06:23 PM
Can anyone advise otherwise of using the penrite Limslip 90..? I grabbed it off the shelf today without knowing exactly the requirements on my TRD 2 way....

or should I take it back and exchange it for the 85-140

Or is the difference not worth the hassle?

Also - how much exactly is needed (L's)?

Frak
1st November 2009, 06:41 PM
I use SAF-XA Castrol and that seems to work nice with TRD's

jaz_ae86
1st November 2009, 10:36 PM
second saf-xa, no additive.

Run in with mineral, then only SAF-XA

Joel-AE86
1st November 2009, 11:03 PM
quick tip apparently its a good idea to head out to a open space (carpark) and do some figure 8s in reverse this helps move the oil up into the shim plates allowing everything to be lubricated properly (please note i do not condone doing figure 8s forward while smoking tyres......... but it is allot of fun!)

I bought my TRD 2-way LSD new and I think it explained somewhere in the documentation to do continuous figure 8's for a good hour (just simply driving, not sliding), then drive 500kms on it, then change to oil to bed-in the plates.

I did this, and have since changed the oil every 3 track days (or I'd recommend every 10k kms of hard street driving) with Penrite Limslip 85W-140, with no additive. LSD runs a treat, fuckn love it to death. It has also never been too tight nor ever locks an inside wheel in carparks or the like.

Best mod I believe for the money. Completely transforms the way your car handles and responds.

Frak
1st November 2009, 11:06 PM
Best mod I believe for the money. Completely transforms the way your car handles and responds.

I totally agree, All my cars have had LSD's fitted and it's amazing how much quicker you can be with one. btw, my daily is fitted with a helical LSD, which I don't like, give me clutch pack any day.

NIZLAH
1st November 2009, 11:32 PM
again I'll ask............

Can anyone advise otherwise of using the penrite Limslip 90..? I grabbed it off the shelf today without knowing exactly the requirements on my TRD 2 way....

or should I take it back and exchange it for the 85-140

Or is the difference not worth the hassle?

Also - how much exactly is needed (L's)?

xero
2nd November 2009, 10:07 AM
that sounds like the penrite equivilent of castrol lsx90, which is what ive used with no issues. so shouldnt be a problem to use it.

litres would be 1.75ltrs.

NIZLAH
2nd November 2009, 10:48 AM
cheers xero....

Frak
2nd November 2009, 06:41 PM
This is an unopened can of genuine RWD TRD LSD oil I have. On the can it says it's a GL-5 85W-140 oil

http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/7759/02112009001.jpg (http://img4.imageshack.us/i/02112009001.jpg/)

Part number is A0420-A0001

corknose
2nd November 2009, 07:07 PM
i thought the liters were 1.4 or so

Joel-AE86
2nd November 2009, 08:43 PM
Just fill it up until the oil starts running out of the filler hole.