PDA

View Full Version : Rad support loom Q - Aus spec ae86

NIZLAH
5th August 2009, 08:17 PM
Hey just need a little info to help me do some rewiring in my 86.

Just want to know what wires are found in the loom/convoluted tubing that is typically found running along the rad support to the stock battery/fuse box location in an aus spec Ae86.

(apart from the headlight wiring - I know that's there)

Also what amp rated wire do I need for the headlights?

Asking because I'm redoing this section of wiring and have a lot of loose mystery ends from when I pulled my old JDM 4age & loom out (fuse box and everything went with it)
Trying to work out what I will need and what I don't when I drop the 20v in (no doubt most of it will still be needed)

edit - and also what functions does the square/cube like plug (that sits on the firewall above/behind the engine) house?
if that makes sense, I think it is a 6 or so pin plug?? {around 20mm x 20mm in size & feeds through the firewall on the drivers side}

All help much appreciated.

Cheers
Niz

Faceplant456
5th August 2009, 10:07 PM
i got the same problem i got the stock wiring hanging threw the body work of which i can see the lights plugs on and a few fuse box plugs but then i also have the small port 4A wiring loom that i need to hook up and i just cant work it out.

Hen may possibly be a nut
6th August 2009, 07:03 AM
Afraid I can't help too much on the original question, though a thorough look at the body wiring diagram in the big fold-out pages at the back of the AE86 manual should help.

The rectangular plug behind the engine contains a bunch of the signals needed for the dash and stuff. From memory, it has one wire for dash temp guage, one wire for dash oil guage, two wires for reverse switch on gearbox and one wire for starter motor signal.

I remember someone posted this stuff before including a photo and wire colours, a search might turn it up.

Hen

rallystanza
6th August 2009, 07:41 AM
Thats correct from memory also Benny.

Some more of the wiring going across Rad support is feeds from battery/alternator to feed panel inside D/side footwell. It also has +12V feeds to your ignition etc, starter... The fold out panel at the back of the AE86 manual holds the keys, its what i used when doing my 20V conversion but you can't get rid of that much of it.

NIZLAH
6th August 2009, 05:57 PM
Yeah I have the manual.... I just find it quite confusing how the diagram is laid out..

cheers for the help so far though..... anyone else got anything more specific to add?

Nikkojoe
6th August 2009, 09:34 PM
On JDM AE86 Looms, the firewall plug houses ignition for coil and injector power. This is obviously missing on adm's and the coil power runs through around the front of the car and along the rad support. This is applicable to ZENKI ONLY. Kouki do not have the firewall plug as their loom for reverse lights, temp, oil pressure etc, goes into the passenger kick panel area on a 4th clear/cream plug.