PDA

View Full Version : Brake upgrade, sutiable for GZE?

hugh
7th August 2009, 10:23 AM
Hey Guys,

Just got my GZE running in my AE71. Problem is, it still has stock brakes...

Question 1: How dodgy would it be leaving the brakes as they are?

Question 2: Would JDM slotted rotors and JDM calipers be a sufficient upgrade?

Cheers
Hugh

Rian
7th August 2009, 10:35 AM
jdm upgrade should be fine...

but if your really worried about it go for something bigger like a willwood setup or rx7..

Chrisso
7th August 2009, 10:49 AM
Depending on the engineering rules for you state I would say that leaving the brakes as they are would make the car unroadworthy and is technically illegal. I would go with JDM or an after market set up. What ever is cheapest. I would go for rx7, but that's cause I've got them.

Rian
7th August 2009, 11:08 AM
and speaking of rx7.......
http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/showthread.php?t=9376

someones selling some now.

Rian

johl
7th August 2009, 11:29 AM
i'v got a gze in my ke70 and have jdm brakes up front t series in the back. its ok. in saying that the 86 struts cost me like $100, jdm brake setup cost me like $300 and i have just had to get them rebuilt and as they couldnt locate a new piston they had to machine the old one (read:$$$$) so that cost me just over $300. so really if i just bit the bullet from the get go i would've saved money and had wayyy better brakes.

but in answer to your question yes, jdm brakes are a good upgrade for your new found power

Dool
7th August 2009, 01:39 PM
i've seen GZE's pass VASS certificate wick fresh stock brakes (new rotors, pads)
i wouldn't do it though.

For a cheap upgrade look at corona twin pistons with redrilled pug (254mm) disks.

Its a similar setup to a standard aw11 gze.