PDA

View Full Version : xt130 corona wheel bearing torque specs

NIZLAH
11th August 2009, 08:00 PM
Hey just want to know what value my xt130 hubs/wheel bearings need to be torqued to?

Can it be done without a torque wrench, IE: just by feel?

never done wheel bearings before so any help appreciated.

Cheers
Niz

blinded
11th August 2009, 08:10 PM
I normally do them by feel. One thing I have always been told is not to "over tighten" them. Just do them up till they are note and tight/firm, then give the hub a bit of a shake. If it feels sloppy, just tighten a little bit further.

driftke70
11th August 2009, 08:25 PM
the proper technique is to make sure the bearings and stub axle are well greased, then put it all together, do the nut up tight, give the wheel bit of a turn, then do a half turn back on the hub nut. make sure you use a clevis/split pin.

this is so everything gets lined up properly, and then is at the right tension, the method above is a bit haggard to be honest.

blinded
11th August 2009, 08:37 PM
Yeah I guess it may not have been explained the greatest in words. More so not a shake but like a bit of a jiggle to get everything seated together.

Well greasing the stub axle and bearings is a given though (I hope :O)
And, a split pin SHOULD come with the bearing kit. But yes, it is a must.

shift_rook
11th August 2009, 08:41 PM
make sure you bed em in by doin it up, undoing etc etc while spinning the wheel

Hokey
11th August 2009, 08:55 PM
new bearing you do them up tight so the wheel won't spin then back it off. you want some preload on the bearings but not too much otherwise the friction will cause heat which will break down the grease.

NIZLAH
12th August 2009, 01:42 AM
cool, sounds easy enough.. cheers

resol
14th August 2009, 01:31 AM
make sure you bed em in by doin it up, undoing etc etc while spinning the wheel

thats not how you 'bed in' a bearing.

hokey is right you need some preload on the bearings, too much however will kill the grease.

it will be obvious if you have too little preload, but no so if you have to much. so be careful. once you have put it together take the car for a quick test drive/ turning, braking etc to suss out if its too tight or too loose.

-dan