PDA

View Full Version : Installing Oversized Crank Pulleye - GZE

hugh
14th August 2009, 12:21 PM
Hey Guys,

I'm in the middle of installing my oversized crank pulley for extra boost on my GZE AE71...

Problem is, the spike coming out of the front of the engine, through the timing belt tensioner, that sits just above the stock crank pulley is stopping the bigger one going on..I'm not too sure exactly what the spike is for and can i just saw it off in order to fit the new one on??

Cheers
Hugh

Jonny Rochester
14th August 2009, 02:21 PM
You must have a motor from a MR2. The spike is for ignition timing.

Yes you can remove it. Best to take the plastic timing cover off first, and I think the spike would unscrew (rather than sawing it off). While your at it, try and replace the plastic timing cover with one from another 4A-GE, which will have the ignition timing marks on it.

Maybe there is a notch on your new crank pulley? That is for ignition timing also.

Mickey H
14th August 2009, 06:46 PM
My gze has a pin aswell, and it's from an ae92 sprinter. IIRC the only use is just for setting up timing, but instead of fitting a bigger harmonic balancer, you can get an overdrive pulley for your supercharger, might be an easier solution.

Hen may possibly be a nut
14th August 2009, 07:27 PM
I had the pin on an AE92 GZE too. I just bent it out of the way. Though removing it and using GE covers would be a nicer solution. It is just used for the timing mark.

Hen

Tim.duncan
17th August 2009, 02:25 PM
i have an mr2 motor and i changed the pulley on the supercharger from a small port ze. i have not don the crank pully yet. and im making 12 psi, just another cheep cheep option for more boost. i have pics of the size differnce if your intrested.