PDA

View Full Version : 4AGE odd idle issue

JinxD
17th August 2009, 03:09 PM
Hey guys just installed a new Bigport, having some idle issues.

Upon start up it hunts idles from 3400,to 5000rpm without touching the throttle
Stock computer, wiring etc only real mod i can think of is 3.6kg fly wheel

any thoughts ideas ?

Cheers Ash

Skylar
17th August 2009, 03:11 PM
Set TPS. and maybe butterfly is open for it to be revving up that high.

JinxD
17th August 2009, 03:18 PM
forgot to mention it has no TVIS throttle body butterfly isn't open
ill check tps

Nikkojoe
17th August 2009, 03:39 PM
If it idles all the time in that range, you have an air leak in your intake somewhere. Make sure you got new gaskets around your intake and its all done up tight.

So when you say this:

forgot to mention it has no TVIS throttle body butterfly isn't open

You mean the tvis plate is gutted? If so, did you weld up the hole for where the shaft passes through. If not, this will be your high idle/air leak.

JinxD
17th August 2009, 04:39 PM
yea its got a blank plant in liue of

44GTE
17th August 2009, 04:48 PM
Hi

Sounds like the cold idle valve on the bottom of the throttle body. Is the idle screw screwed right in and still idling that high ?. I have the same issue at the moment and have had to revove that assy from the bottom of the throttle body abd then inbetween it and the throttle body have put some aluminium tape right across it to blank that assy off. It will run fine other than on initial cold start won't idle untill, so just hold the accel for 10 -20 secs , than it should idle if you have the idle screw ount about 1 turn. Then once up to temp adjust your idle to suit.
Note this is only a tempeary fix as that part is approx $300 trade from toyota.
Another way to confirm this is if you have no other air leaks put you hand totally oer the inlet to block it off with eng running and if the engine doesn't stall it sounds like what i have just described as it is sucking air throgh this valve on idle.

Try that and see what happens.

Good luck
Cheers

Nikkojoe
17th August 2009, 07:19 PM
For it to rev to 3400-5000 would mean that he has a massive air leak. Cold start not working would only rev up to 2500-3000 if that (thats assuming that the idle screw is wound all the way down). It could be a combination of the two but more than likely an air leak.

Could even be a cracked intake manifold.

khai2298
18th August 2009, 07:21 PM
sorry to steal your thread JinxD, but im having some idle issues with my 4age smallport aswell. It idles normally pretty much all the time but on initial cold start it will stall if i dont keep my foot on the gas for a good 30 seconds...

anyone have any ideas?