PDA

View Full Version : need info on quaife racks

evil86
19th August 2009, 11:55 PM
hey guys, i stumbled over this link while googling.... just wondering if any of you boys can explain the concept of the quaife rack as this is just a hot to

http://forums.club4ag.com/zerothread?id=15662

Hen may possibly be a nut
20th August 2009, 12:48 AM
A quick rack gives fewer turns lock to lock and faster steering response (same movement at the steering wheel gives more rotation at the wheels). The steering is heavier, but feels very direct.

Basically the same sort of effects as fitting power steering arms.

Hen

Frak
20th August 2009, 10:08 PM
Do it, it's wicked!!

I've had one fitted to my 86 for about 7/8 years and I love it :)

LittleRedSpirit
20th August 2009, 11:27 PM
Its different sort of to power steering arms. With a quaife rack your steering attains the same amount of lock as a stock rack. It just gets from lock to lock in 2.5 turns of the wheel. It feels a little heavier, and its a little tricky to steer precisely until you adapt, but its really brilliant once you do.

Power steering arms will still give you 2.9 turns of the wheel lock to lock, since the actual rack and pinion remain the same, but the angle achieved by the wheels is significantly greater.

Id say Power steering arms are better for drift, simply due to the lock. I have a quaife kit installed and I love it, however everyone who isnt used to it scares the shit out of me driving my car with all the oversteering.