PDA

View Full Version : Alarm Systems

tc-rolla
21st August 2009, 11:33 PM
hey guys,

most of my cars have had alarm systems but nothing flash really.
was wondering of the people have them, what are the better brands out there?
i dont want to go a shitty cheap one but dont wanna spend thousands (yes i care about my car).

maybe something with a imobilser but probs wiring up a killswitch this w/e.

ben.

ke70dave
22nd August 2009, 12:12 AM
ive jsut got a python 515R alarm system. twas about 400$ from JB hifi.

its got 2 or 3 imobilising relays.

essentially an alaram is only as good as it is installed. so if you can do a good job, and reputable alarm is worth putting in.

python or viper seem to be good brands. though i had a "no name" brand alarm in my old car, and it worked a treat.

AE092
22nd August 2009, 03:20 AM
Ive used 2 Mongoose systems and can say they relatively well priced. The M20 is one of the more basic ones but does offer remote central locking and dual immobilizers. It also has a silent arming function so in the event you come home late, you can arm it without the noise. This one cost me $200 including install.

I'm now using the early version M60 - same features as M20 but has black wiring/fully programmable/ extra sensors ect. So +1 for Mongoose from me.

Joshie_Mcslide
22nd August 2009, 11:15 AM
Just installed a Rhino GTR in the Corona......Nice an easy to do yourself,cost $140 and has everything i needed!

josh

corknose
22nd August 2009, 11:27 AM
i got some rhino one and all the wires are to short so i cbf take it to an auto electrition

Joshie_Mcslide
22nd August 2009, 11:41 AM
lol,Yeah i'll be charging at least $100 to install one ever again!

Skylar
23rd August 2009, 03:52 AM
essentially an alaram is only as good as it is installed. so if you can do a good job, and reputable alarm is worth putting in.

python or viper seem to be good brands. though i had a "no name" brand alarm in my old car, and it worked a treat.

Yeah, I'd think most immob/alarm/remote c/l work just as good as each other but it's the way they're installed that matters like Dave said. My neighbor came to me one day going "dead immobiliser". I had the thing ready to cut and undo in 5 minutes. Woulda had it patched up enough to drive in under 10 minutes.

The immobilisers in my cars are tucked up real good and would take you ages to get to and once you do, good luck because it would take me some time to figure it out and where I put the wires and what I cut.

Every aftermarket installer just cuts a wire and bridges the immobiliser across it and tapes it back up. Anyone can see what he's done and just bridge the gap created by the immobiliser to bypass it. The trick is to not have the same coloured wires near each other or where they can reach each other.

I run jaycar immobilisers in my cars. 3 point immob, black wire loom, optional alarm + shock sensor, remote c/l outputs, silent arm, turbo timer function, blah blah. Used to be 99 bucks but now 140 :S then another 50 for alarm and shock sensor.

In short, alarms don't do anything without an immobiliser, wire it yourself, make a mess of it for the thief, buy a jaycar immobiliser.

aaron
29th August 2009, 01:41 PM
My brother, myself and old man now all run cyclops systems. very good systems (australian standards approved) and not the cheap cheap stuff everyone else seems to be using.
just a word of warning my old man did have a rhino system and did crap itself after about a year (was professionally installed aswell).

steroidchickens
29th August 2009, 03:16 PM
an alarm will only work as well as it is installed.
but dont get a cheap one. most of the cheap ones, you unplug the wiring loom and the thing is disconected. car starts up and all.
python arnt to bad.
i got the 881xp in my navara. its got remote start, turbo timer ect. worth almost $1000
good quality. except the wiring loom plugs into the module box. and you have to purchise the black wiring kit seperate.
i like mongoose.

warlock 3500/5500 are decent. basic. but do the job.
all black wiring, straight into a black box. this is what all alarms should be. if installed well almost impossible to follow wires.

BigBBQ
31st August 2009, 09:28 PM
http://www.autospeed.com/A_107975/cms/article.html
sweet idea

Micknofx
2nd September 2009, 02:27 PM
I've had cars pinched off me twice that had no alarm and both times thy were found just around the corner from my place. Both had no alarm but cheap prevntative measures.

1st was an old vn I had for a bit. It had to have the indicators on to start, was pushed by hapless theives to the paddock at the end of my street.

2nd was my sprinter (scariest 20 mins of my life when she went missing!). I used to take my ecu out everytime I was leaving it over night and pull a fuse at carparks. THat time they pushed it with another car and it was found two streets over.

The most chetto tactic I've ever used was chaining the clutch pedal to the steering wheel thus making it impossible to change gears - I always figured it was a good visual deterrent to see a big fuck off chain and padlock too.

.ady
2nd September 2009, 07:24 PM
i think im going to do that last one sounds good !