Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Full Carbon Supra track car rebuild

Name
    Dimitri
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

not to start a fight. just a discussion.

but.. why?

for the money they put in. i bet you could buy an ex jgtc supra. and have change. and a faster car. and whatever class theyre in. it doesnt seem like there is many rules.

i guess its a shop car.. but its not just one shop that built it, still there is marketing value, but not much.. i just cant see the return on investment.

i can guess some people are thinking "who cares". but what i dont get is, to put yourself in that position to be able make that choice to do such a project. i just dont understand how a person who can put themself in that position, would say "yep, i think this is a good idea".

im probably not seeing the whole picture... maybe there are different tax laws in that country... etc.

but yeah, crazy world.

id honestly just buy a Ferrari myself.
    78's

Name
    Dimitri
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

you give me 500k ill be a multi millionaire in 2 years. + toys.
    78's

Banned
    Name
    andrew

does it say a price ? i only looked at the pic's.

we get pretty shafted on prices here so everything seems way expensive and we are so small time. the people that built that car, yes have a bit of coin but they could of all been mates that all helped out in this build, they all seemed pretty chummy.

i know people that have built awesome cars, bikes, boats and houses on the cheap because everything they got or had done was discounted. Labour is so expensive but if you have a mate that owns a business, you can get it done for a fraction of the price.

Name
    Timmy D
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

why would someone buy a ae86, put a 20v in it, a roll cage, spend $130 on jap spec washer bottles, then put some crazy offset wheels that dont fit so you have to bash the gaurds out to make them, then heaps of suspension mods, so you have 10 deg of camber on the frount......... because we can!

if you look at all the money we all spend on out 25 year old hachis the same could be said, some one on the out side could say "why would you spend 15 grand on a corolla? why wouldent you just buy a 180 instead?" because i dont want a nissan! maybe these guys just really love supras? maybe he has lots of fond memories of times been had in the old girl?

watch "love the beast" with eric banner. why would you spend so much money on a car with leaf springs? because he can and he loves it
    Last edited by Tim.duncan; 23rd September 2009 at 09:09 AM.
    JJ
    "my mind demands side pipes out of hear, now to command my hands to make them"

Veteran
    Name
    Dave
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

agreed slyder.

i havent looked at the links in this thread, as im at work.

but ive seen that konigseeggg motor into cortina one.

and its an amazing peice of engineering. and the bloke that owns the car, he seems to be pretty switched on (based on the thread)

ie what im saying is they arent just paying people to do it, they have input. and i dont know what goes through someones mind when they decide to put a twin turbo knoigseeeggggg engine into a cortina, and essentially from what i saw redesigning the complete cortina.

are they all drug dealers or something?!?!

i dont think i coudl ever spend 500k on "doing up" a car. in fact i dont think i could spend 500k on a car.....

however if given the chance, sure id have a konigseeeggg powered cortina...for free!
    In faith there is enough light for those who want to believe and enough shadows to blind those who don't.
    - Blaise Pascal

Veteran
    Name
    john
    State
    nsw
    Country
    australia

+1 My thoughts exactly .
    Originally Posted by cicca_294
    my dads mate is getting one, in white, aus delivered.
    his mate has an imported on in white,
    and their mate has a blood red one with a 25k new exhaust system...

i wish i had enough money for a freaking corolla

Gunner

Ever thought, maybe they have already done this a few times over?

If you can afford why not build what you want, I would.

I don't see anything wrong with spending that sort of money on a car, Spending 200k on a street driven 400kw wrx, or 500k on a full blown race car, is better than buying a lambo, or ferrari.

Name
    Dimitri
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

that is a completely different kettle of fish. there really is no comparison. for starters. it is possible to build an 86, with all the things you mentioned, and then turn around and sell it at a profit. i know, ive done it 5 times now.

besides that, even if you dont, 15k is an insignificant amount of money.

eric banner on the other hand. again, completely different. to him, the money he has spent is insignificant. he's a made man.

possibly, infact in all likeliness it old mate whos built the supra is in the same boat.

i just find it extrordinary that builds like this ever happen. sure that car is amazing right now. and if left in its initial state before the tube front end was done, it might have even stood the test of time somewhat.

still, there are better ways to spend that much money on a car. and when youre talking that sort of money. i dont see how logic doesnt play a bigger role in the decision making.

thats where youre wrong as far as im concerned, it really really isnt.

the 400kw wrx. is likely to be illegal for road use, in fact, there is no way it couldnt be. it will also give people the impression you are a bogan. and return around a 1/4 of the investment when youre bored of not driving it or you have no license because its a total cop magnet.

the 200k ferrari (infact you can buy a great one for half that). well. what is there to say. you could lose a little money on it, or gain some. people definately wont think youre a bogan. and as long as the cops dont actually watch you doing anything stupid (and probably sometimes even if they do) theyre likely to just tip their hats to you and smile.

500k on a race car. well thats harder to define. in some instances, that makes total sense.

anyway, like i said, dont really wanna thrash this out.

i just dont "get" that supra.
    78's

Veteran
    Name
    john
    State
    nsw
    Country
    australia

maybe its not all about building a car and then selling it for a small profit .

some ppl do it to push the limit of what they can do ... and if it fail or succeed they will learn from it .. for someone who can spend 500k on a car .. to them money come and goes ... its the experience they get that is satisfying and that cant be bought...

i had a mate who is not into cars asked me why i spent so much money on my car . and to which i reply because i enjoy it working on it and as stressful as it is , its fun just like ppl paying money to go theme parks / dance parties/ strip club-- its fun...
    Last edited by redsprinter; 23rd September 2009 at 10:56 AM.
    Originally Posted by cicca_294
    my dads mate is getting one, in white, aus delivered.
    his mate has an imported on in white,
    and their mate has a blood red one with a 25k new exhaust system...

i wish i had enough money for a freaking corolla

Name
    Iain
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Slydars on the money.

I hate the whole "if you got it flaunt it" attitude.
    self restraint is a virtue.

I would much rather have myself a piece of history ie an ex jgtc supra then a workshop built car like that.

There is a difference between a car like this and the Aussie gtr that went to Tsukuba, forget the name of the workshop.
    They had a goal, and a workshop and brand to push, as well as themselves. It was a dream for them.
    This supra seems like they did it because they simply could. And I'm sure for the coin spent vs return, there are alot faster and more rewarding cars out there.
    Last edited by patience; 23rd September 2009 at 12:01 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast