Page 22 of 51 FirstFirst ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ... LastLast

Thread: Javal's Mechanical Spirit Guide / 18RG XT130 Hate Machine

Name
    Josho
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

Let's do some before and afters.

On it's way there

Arriving home

Engine bay

Boot floor

Rad Support

Home

So stoked.
    You can have any brew you want... as long as it's a Datsun / Corolla / What is that?

Name
    Chris
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

Nicely done, can't wait to see it put back together!

Name
    Oscar
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

Doing well

Name
    Josho
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

Alright, so my 18R-GEU is coming along nicely. Everything's getting neatened up / cleaned up / refurbished as required. So currently it looks like this:

Front suspension is on it's way to being sorted.

XT130 / RT132 front struts (have, stripping currently for paint) WITH
    TRD Green shock absorbers (have)
    AJPS Custom springs (5kg/mm, custom height) (ordered)
    LN106 Hilux Calipers (source found, awaiting payday)
    Peugeot 604 Rotors (awaiting payday)
    RT132 hubs with new wheelbearings (have)

XT130 LCAs, new bushes and balljoints (have)
    Rebushed castor arms
    O/S swaybar to try and counteract the weight of the 18R-G (yet to look into, ideas?)

I should really start looking into refurbishing my steering box and idler arm. Ugh.
    You can have any brew you want... as long as it's a Datsun / Corolla / What is that?

Name
    Huw
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

thought about a KE70 steering rack conversion?

Name
    Josho
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

Of course I have, what do you take me for?

Why am I not going down that path? Difficulty.

xT13x have forward bowing crossmembers which are totally unsuitable for R&P conversions. KE70 crossmember needs to be narrowed approx 20-30mm to bolt up to the rails, engine mounts will have to be custom as the R-series (up to 21R) have engine mounts right up the front of the block (hence forward bowing crossmember), sump will have to be changed to a hilux style front-bowl and even then it'll need heavy modification to clear the rack. Then working out a column / intermediate shaft combo to make it all work. Lots of effort, I'd like to actually be able to drive the thing at some point in the next decade.

It's of note, how little of the work i'm doing to this car requires ANY modification or custom work to be done. There are only a few bits and pieces that are going to require fabrication or have to be custom made. Kind of goes to show, if you do your homework, you can indeed 'bolt in and win' with factory components.

Given that i'm going for a 'neat street' and weekend spirited drive car, I don't actually think it's going to be particularly detrimental given my application of the vehicle.

In summary, despite the thread title, 'because hard and not racecar'.

A year or two after completion, i'll have built and installed the big-pistoned, reasonably cammed, aftermarket ECU'd 'angry man' 18R-G. If I ever get bored with that or want greater reliability, i'll go BEAMS and do an R&P conversion then.
    Last edited by Javal; 23rd December 2012 at 01:20 PM.

Name
    Josho
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

Progress, progress.

Spent the day in the sun and removed the original BW diff from this car, removed the ST141 BW disc rear end from my RT132 donor car, fitted the XT130 BW to the donor car to keep it rolling. Pulled my RT132 struts down ready for a bath in the hot-tank. Disc brakes are going on the T-series from my RT132 daily, which in return will receive the ST141 BW with drums. As soon as I can get my W50 to BW tailshaft back, which is out on loan. Doing the same job 3 times, lol!

Finally managed to pick up my front suspension and crossmember after powdercoating. Looks schmick.

That's MOST of the front end right there. Still have to work out what i'm doing for a swaybar as whiteline no longer make a front bar for the xT13x chassis. Funny, they did when I started... Also i'm still waiting on the discs and springs, but they're only a few days away, so I'll have plenty to keep me occupied.

Pulled the calipers off the disc diff ready to send off and have rebuilt - my 'box o brakes'

It occurred to me while looking at this picture - that is a lot of brakes. My car doesn't weigh that much. This is going to be good!

Name
    Josho
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

Big day today.

Spent a good number of hours with the wire brush head on the 4" grinder in preparation for rebuilding my calipers. Here they are half way done -

They will get some more love when they're pulled down and I can really get in there with a smaller wire brush head. I'll be doing these myself, alongside the brake mechanic at work, who volunteered to help in exchange for a decent bottle of scotch after I was quoted over $800 to have them redone at a shop. Eek.

Also yanked my trailing arms out ready for rebushing, my old dash harness, pedalbox, rear shocks are all out and destined for the bin. Pulled the rear discs off the BW Disc diff, axles out, handbrake and mounting plates off ready for strip / clean / re-assemble at work.

Additionally I pulled my S1 dash cluster out of my daily to see if my S2 cluster would plug straight in. It won't. I really hoped it would, but it won't. I have next week off. So in that time, I'm going to remove the dash and dash wiring from the S2 RT132, remove the dash and dash wiring from my S1 RT132 daily, fit the S2 dash and wiring to the S1, then fit the S1 gear to the XT130. That should kill 3 days easily, then the diff and brake swap with the S1 daily and the XT. Then I will drink a beer I think.

Name
    Josho
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

OOOOH MY GOD. That was the worst job to do, ever.

Swapping all of the wiring AND components around should mean that you can plug everything in and it should all work first go. No, not in this case.
    Heaps of custom patch harnesses. Cut and shuts. Missing connectors. Connectors totally lopped off. WHOLE BRANCHES OF THE HARNESS MISSING CAUSE SOMEONE CUT THE FUCKING THING OFF.

Much frustration. Anyway, I did it. The RT132 liftback starts and runs and lives again. But now it has no diff in it, as the diff swap to a Borg Warner while retaining standard drums on it is now under way. This way the XT130 can have a Toyota T-series with ST141 rear disc brakes. Both diffs are stripped and removed, and getting the lower rear trailing arm mounts swapped over (BW lower mount has mounting for the brake lines and the shock mount is further inboard) and swaybar mounts (RT132 has no rear swaybar!!)

Also, re-assembly is going well!

I got the heater core checked and flushed, courtesy of City Radiators. Despite the name being misleading (albert park =/= city) these guys do top work for the right price and they're quick too!

Which meant the Heater box could go in, along with my nicely powdercoated pedalbox and adjustable steering column. Floor vent channels are in too, however I can't put any more HVAC gear in until the engine harness is in place due to access restrictions.

So, steering column in, pedalbox, brake booster, clutch master, front brake lines, heater box. Engine bay kinda looks like an engine bay.

Trimmed my backing plates so I can still use them with the C/P/H conversion. Good old eyecrometer made sure these trimmings were 'pretty good, mate'.

My 'to do' list. Best idea to get a whiteboard.

And the overall dismal state of my cars.

More updates when my springs and diff are done.

EDIT - ALSO I NEED NEW LITTLE RUBBER BUMP STOPPERS FOR THE BRAKE AND CLUTCH PEDAL. ANY IDEAS?

Name
    Huw
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

lucky the boss isnt in the country to walk through that

head round the corner to UPI to get those bump stops??? should be a pretty generic thing on most earlier toyotas i would have thought???

Page 22 of 51 FirstFirst ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ... LastLast