Thread: 16V vs. 20V

Veteran
    Name
    Yang
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

Well the question is which is better? 16V or 20V? Is one stronger than the other? Is one faster than the other? Is one more easier to get parts for than the other? Is one easier to fit than the other? Is one easier to work on than the other?

I currently have a JDM 4AGE Series 1 and am looking at getting it rebuilt or just drop in a 20v.

Cheers

Name
    Billy-Joe
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

Well I am going to rebuild my JDM engine when the time arrives. You can get the power you want out of a JDM engine, just a little work and money.

But if I need to change the block in the future I will get the AE92 block.
    Previous cars:
    BMW 318i, Mazda MX5, Mazda Familia, Toyota Levin GTV (miss it), AE71, AE92 corolla x 2, Honda Integra Type R DC2 (awesome car),
    Mitsubishi Evo 8 MR (Missing it)

Current Car:
    2013 Hilux SR5 (turning it into a off-road warrior)
    I am looking for a track only car..... Thinking of an AE86 to use.

Oldschool Member
    Name
    mike
    State
    qld
    Country
    australia

i would have to say the 20v would be a better engine mainly because its newer. But im a little biast because ive got the shits with my 16v. Wheres all the people with stats and numbers?

Senior Member Medwin_3sGTE_AE86's Avatar
    Name
    Bendyaumum
    State
    TAS
    Country
    Australia

If u fully work both heads and run similar duration cams, compression etc.. the peak power output would be pretty similar. But in stock or mild trim, the 20v would have a wider torque band and higher power output. I personally think the 20v should have a slightly wider torque band with or without the vvt system in place.

Since u already have a 16v... i think it would be wise to spend the converson money on some quads, pistons, rods, cams, head work, raised compression and a good ecu..... i think that will be spending ur money more wisely......

Bad Email Address

the earlier 'bigport' (aside from the MR2 version, and early AE92 version with the 7 rib/bigport combo) 16v motors are said to be weaker because of the smaller big ends (40mm) and gudgion pins (18mm)..and they say the 3 rib block is weaker than the 7 rib block..the later 'smallport' motors have the 7 rib block, with it's bigger internals.. 42mm big ends, and 20mm gudgeon pins (all GZE, and 20V share these) 20V have lighter rods, there are alot of minute differences between the 100kw and GZE rods, but for arguments sake we will say there the same (as in size of big ends etc)..

on one hand the earlier motors are weaker, but because they have less internal mass, they feel as if they rev quicker than the 100kw generation..they overcame this with the 20V with it's lightend rods etc..

16V for me..i would like a 100KW smallport motor, with 20V rods, and quads (i'll see if i can get me some rods for project revs, they have a very nice rod..the 20V i mean )..20valvers.. good in theory..but toyota quote them as 165-170hp (depending on sources) and the 100kw ones..well thats 134hp.. yet they seem to post very very similar dyno figures..yes yes i know dyno's can be fudged, and there not really a good gauge for power..but even on the drag strip..they post similar times to a 16V with the same mods..

Matty..

I guess what you have to ask yourself is "am i a hachi purist?"

Quads on a 16v, aftermarket ECU, big cams, strengthened internals, 9500rpm and 215hp

**OR**

Black top 20v, aftermarket ECU, big cams, 9000rpm and 200hp

In the end both engines have alot of dicking round to get them to this stage. 16v parts are very easy to get aftermarket performance parts for. Im in the middle of a BT 20v conversion, for the people who say that for the price of a 20v conversion you can make your 16v scream... I say:

PHOOEY!!!

20v conversions are easy and cheap... in saying that, if I had the choice again, I would rather go for a full house 16v, GZE crank/rods, TODA 12:1 pistons, 288/308 cams, MOTEC, EFI hardwares quadthrottle kit, blah blah blah

Veteran
    Name
    Yang
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

Is there differences with the ECU's between the 16v and 20v? And what about the manual and automatic ecu's?
    The auto half cuts are cheaper than the manual halfcuts but there is no point becuase I thought the 20v only cam eout in FWD so the gearbox doesn't really matter.

Cheers

Bad Email Address

the 20V did only come out in FWD..the ecu for the 20V won't work on the 16V and vice versa..unless you use all the sensors, injectors, loom etc from the ecu to put onto the new motor..but then you need to work around the VVTi..so short ans NO you can't do it easily..

with the auto's i dunno if it's the simple case of wiring it so the ecu thinks it's in neautral all the time..which is simple engouh..i have heard that there are minor differences with the fuel maps and rev limiters, but for arguments sake i think you'll be fine with an auto front cut..and a bit of wiring sorted out..

Matty

Bad Email Address

just awnsered my own question befor..the 20V injectors are side feed...not top feed like the 16V..and the injector bosses are in the manifold..not the head like the 16V..so no i would say you can swap and change ecus between the motors..16V stuff for 16V's and 20v stuff for 20v's

Oldschool Member

how much considerably cheaper are the 16V compared to the 20's?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast