Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Thread: What diff is everyone using?? 200+rwkw??

Name
    Ryan
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

mine isnt a borgie
    wheelfriends.wordpress.com

Name
    Phil
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

Aaahhh...that would explain it then...thanks for clarifying that for me

Name
    Dan
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

but i like overkill. and big clutch stabs.

Name
    Ryan
    State
    NT
    Country
    Australia

there is an old Hiace van sitting in the car grave yard at my folks place, for sh1ts and giggles i thought i would go check out what the old war horse was packing. turns out it has a g series diff. G282.

i havn't measured how big it is yet, but before i go pulling it all out i was wondering if it would be worth my time, how hard is it to get LSD's for 2 pinion G series diffs? and is there any difference in axels between the 4 pinion and 2 pinions?

Thanks

Name
    Dimitri
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

the pinions are in the center, so number of pinions in the the has stock is irrelevant, that changes when you change the center to lsd. all splines are the same for all G series too as far as ive ever heard.

having said all the. hiace's are way too wide. much wider than yr22 (already on the wide side) and also 5 stud.

not really worth bothering unless you wanna run au falcon wheels.

Name
    Brendan
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

I've got two complete 2wd hilux's, where do I check the diff series? Ones an 83 I think and the others 84. Yeah I'm all for overkill :-). I love compression lock entries aswell. The hilux does mad single spinners. 100mtrs long before breaks get to hot to hold her.

Senior Member Medwin_3sGTE_AE86's Avatar
    Name
    Bendyaumum
    State
    TAS
    Country
    Australia

'83 2WD Hilux measures in at 1410mm (from memory) and is what I have in mine. '84 model would be the same diff. Offset isnt too bad.... 8" (wide), 15+(offset) fills the standard gaurds, with the gaurds (lip) rolled 8" 0 offset would fill nicely.

Standard Hilux LSD are only good for a tad under 200rwkw, above that they just slip (ie lose the 'limited' ability, and become an SD - Slipping diff lol) and in any case, when you're playing with that sort of power really should balls up and go a detroit locker anyway! But if you really want the LSD above 200rwkw, you'll need to source a good 2-way from a supra etc and have someone fit the centre into the Hilux carrier. Does work, have seen it before and would do it, only ends up being a $3000 centre by the time you have someone properly fit it....

I'd argue this point..... ^^^

Yes, they are a big diff. With BIG axles, BIG bearings, BIG everything. But.... They can handle BIG power - without missing a beat. Why have the limited high powered models released by toyota (Supra, Soarer etc) mostly come with the G-series (be it IRS) rear end? Because they're the only one that will take the power, day in day out. They fit nicely, dont look out of place and dont weigh too much - yes they are heavy but its a trade off for capability.

But granted, for the majority of members on here, G series is too much. But, there are instances where it is needed....

Ok
    Name
    Seamus
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

I'm yet to see any time (except maybe raceflo's old 600hp+ thing) that a G-series would even be an option, let alone required

I think it's quite simple: our cars weigh 1000kg, we don't need a diff anywhere near that size, unless one of us has a 1J/2J/RB25/26 and slams it weekly at the drags and nothing else, but that's not the situation...

Though in arguing that, i guess it doesn't matter, a G diff is unbreakable and can carry a vast amount of LSD's, plus they come in some fairly cool widths .. it's just the unnecessary 20-40kg extra weight that gets ME

Oh, and for the record, only the old-school underpowered 1G/7M etcsupra/soarer's come with a G-series .. all the powerful ones come with an A/B diff

Name
    Ryan
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

rotational mass....
    wheelfriends.wordpress.com

Name
    Ryan
    State
    NT
    Country
    Australia

when you say it's too wide, just how wide is too wide on an AE86? Are the axels to long or is the whole diff the wrong shape?

i figure there is a reason why people haven't talked about using a diff out of a Hiace before just like to know what those reasons are.

thanks.

Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast