ryan
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Default Strange idle, running rich, please help

Car - 4age ke70
    motor / part in question - 4AGE bigport
    problem - strange idle, hunting while at idle, running rich.
    occurs/started when (if applicable)- when the car was finished

Hey guys

Finished my 4age conversion a while ago. ever since i got it running, the idle wont go below 1500rpm. I've tried lowering it on the throttle body and its almost fully adjusted down, but it still sits between 1200-1500rpm at idle. Also when it warms up it starts to hunt while idling(refer to video if you don't know what i mean).

Lastly it seems to be running rich, all this fine black mist has covered the back of my car.

One if the things that needs addressing is that the cold start injector isnt hooked up, the guy doing the wiring welded it over thinking it was not needed

Im sourcing a new fuel rail now to get it hooked up again, but i cant see that causing all these problems.

Do you guys have any idea what could be causing this? i think it could be a vacuum leak but not sure. Will be checking the ecu codes this weekend, but just wanted to see if anyone has had this problem before. any feed back would be really appreciated guys.

cheers heaps

Ryan
    Last edited by Sprinter Freak; 23rd April 2012 at 10:05 PM.

Name
    ryan
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Also one last thing, i've got the thermo fan hooked up so its always on. This in turn means the engine runs cold mall the time, could that be causing the ecu to run the engine as if it were cold all the time? and is it bad to have the engine that cold all the time?

cheers

Ryan

Name
    Mike
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

dont wotrry about the cold start injector, it isnt going to cause it to run rich, i dont run one and i know a lot people that dont, what you can do is use the hole at the back of the head where the cold start injector switch is, and put a switch in to switch your thermo on, and if you have a thermastat it should still get hot anyways

does it stop hunting if you raise the revs in teh slightest?
    Last edited by dying3k; 23rd April 2012 at 10:14 PM.

Name
    Huw
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

things to check

- map sensor connected and no leak/split in hose
    - tps adjusted correctly
    - Vaccum leak.....
    - ignition timing

im thinking there has to be an air leak somewhere to cause an idle that high......start spraying wd40 around teh manifold and see if the engine note changes

Name
    Mike
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

good one to check, the idle control valve on the bottom on your throttle body, infront of your throttle butterfly there is a hole(actually in the tb) put your finger over it and see how you go, mine let go and made it idle at like 2-3 grand, ended up making a gasket to block off the idle control valve altogether(only used on the jdm 86's to bump up idle with powersteer)

Name
    ryan
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Ok, i thought the cold start might have been contributing to the problem, guess not. I don't think i am running a thermostat, and not sure what you mean by use the hole where the cold start injector is in the back of the head, the only thing i have at the back of my head is these 2 temp sensors:

not sure if it goes away if i raise the idle, but will check that and see what it does.

-I think it might be the map sensor hose, its old and a bit perished. Will change that today for a new hose and see what it does.

-I'm pretty sure its adjusted correctly, i had a play around with the idle, adjusting the screw but it didn't change much :/ is there any other way of adjusting the TPS sensor?

-How do i check for a vacuum leak?

when you say an air leak, do you mean one in the throttle body gasket? or somewhere else? will break out the wd40 if none of those don't fix it and see how it sounds.

Yea i know the one your talking about, Only thing with that is that i've blocked all those off with vacuum nipples:/ so wouldn't that mean they couldn't be sucking any air in?

Name
    ryan
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

ok so i changed the vac sensor hose for a new one, the hose was a bit perished but i don't think that was it.

Tried spraying wd40 on the throttle body and nothing changed, i also sprayed it on all the little pipes coming off the throttle body. nothing changed again:/

so i then tried to check the ecu codes but i couldn't get the light to come on, i think i might have it hooked up wrong, or the battery i was using didn't have enough charge. does it look right to you guys? the negative is connected to the red wire and the positive is connected to the battery.

also would having the cold start injector not blocked off be causing some problems?

Name
    Mike
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

so did i put it still sucked air, did you try putting your finger over the hole in the throttle body?

and the battery needs an earth to work

Name
    ryan
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

not sure i completely understand what you mean, did it still suck air from where? and which hole on the throttle body do you mean? because as far as i can see pretty much all of the holes are blocked off.

ok ill earth the battery then give it a go.

Name
    ryan
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

ok so this is tripping me out, i hooked up the ecu checker light correctly and it comes on and then turns off straight away like the ecu isn't finding anything wrong, but the idle is still really high, do i need to wait till it warms up first?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast