Thread: mx83 No JZ build

Name
    Jason
    State
    Melbourne
    Country
    Australia

Default mx83 No JZ build

After selling my last toyota (st141 corona) I built a BMW e30 and had a couple of e class mercedes (I still have one)altho the Mercedes are a great daily they are just so boring. So the other day I picked up a MX83 cressida, I have wanted one for a while but the head gasket problems and the automatics always scared me off. I know 0 about these cars but was told it has some rareish parts on it.

At the moment the plans are to keep it as my daily, re paint it as its is in terrible condition, put a manual behind the 7m and fix the spastic amout of oil leaks.

Name
    Brenton
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

nice mark 2 with a few little mark additions and some hard to find wind deflectors good stuff
    adm ae86 now one hell of a project
    ae71 small project

Name
    Jason
    State
    Melbourne
    Country
    Australia

So today I hid the Cressida away in the garage up on jack stands where it will stay for a little so that I can start fixing a couple of the problems and hopefully stop it leaving puddles of oil everywhere it goes.
    And here is just a quick pick I got as I went to go and put some petrol in it today.

Name
    Jason
    State
    Melbourne
    Country
    Australia

So today I finished work early and Went straight to the garage. After a quick look I noticed the cam cover bolts where very loose as well as all the hose clamps on the intake pipes. I nipped them all up and started the car up as it only seemed to leak once the car was warm, I turned the car off and the leak seemed to be a lot better but I also noticed that there is a leak from the bottom timing cover. I'm fairly sure that it must be the front crank seal so now I think ill order a new seal and a timing belt kit, is there anything else anyone recommends that I change at the same time?

And a rubbish phone pic of the car in my cramped garage.

Name
    Chris
    State
    South Australia
    Country
    Australia

if your doing timing belt, you may aswell do the all the front motor seals, waterpump, drive belts

as thats all in the same area

Junior Member ghostintheshell95''s Avatar
    Name
    Tim
    State
    Qld
    Country
    Australia

Built N/a 7m's can be cool, andrewmx83 on toymods has built a fair few. Something different with lots of torque

Name
    Jason
    State
    Melbourne
    Country
    Australia

Thanks mate I have ordered all the seals and good point with the water pump ill order one now.

Dont think im actually going to build a 7m just keep this one in here and running. The goal is to have a reliable fun daily car that I dont spend heaps on

Name
    Jason
    State
    Melbourne
    Country
    Australia

Got home from work this afternoon and decided to get into the garage quickly before I had to go to my other job. Pulled the top timing cover off in the hope the leak would be from one of the cam shaft seals. They seem to be fine so I think it is going to be the front main seal. I don't have work tomorrow afternoon so I think ill get in there and rip the front of the motor apart.

And because I like taking photos. ...

Name
    Jason
    State
    Melbourne
    Country
    Australia

The weather is killing me, all this rain means I can't get anything done. Here's to hoping Saturday is going to be a good day. Hopefully I'll be able to pull the radiator and balancer off and get to the timing cover so I can see exactly what is leaking in there.

Name
    Jason
    State
    Melbourne
    Country
    Australia

Doesn't look like I will get anything done with the Cessida this weekend because of the rain. Seeing as I am always looking for shit to do I decided to cut out the front part of the airbox to try and get a better flow of air, someone has replaced the standard filter with a K & N item already. I'll pick up some plastic or perspex and make up a cover to go between the airbox and radiator support. I doubt that doing any of this will actually help much but who knows. I will pull out the diegrinder and clean it all up as it looks very rough at the moment.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast