Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Start over Corona.

Name
    James
    State
    Queensland
    Country
    Australia

hahaha, yeah, I think I remember 22r's to be better than they are, I'll see how they go stock and see what I can do with it.
    I'm not going turbo, I like N/A too much

Name
    James
    State
    Queensland
    Country
    Australia

Okay, Picked up a donor car Sunday morning that has sat in a shed for the past year or so, it was a paddock basher that did jumps and other cool stuff. Has a couple of good bits, tacho dash, air back set up in the rear.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	357.1 KB 
ID:	35133

Pulled the motor and box out In the arvo and cleaned it up a little.

Views:	40 
Size:	331.1 KB 
ID:	35134

This morning I split the engine and box, used the better of the two clutches and dropped it in. Got it all together and what not and then saw that the looms are different, the wagons an 86 model so has all the enviro shit. but it also had an electronic dizzy and O2 sensor where as the other doesn't.

Views:	35 
Size:	333.8 KB 
ID:	35135

Tonight I swapped the Dizzy's and the TPS sensor (plugs are different), got everything hooked up apart from 2 plugs that I couldn't work out where'd they go, it cranks all sweet but wouldn't start, there's shit all fuel if any so I put it down to that. But for good measure I checked for spark and there isn't any.............. Dang it.
    So tomorrow I'll be checking everything over trying to get it to run, I have 2 of everything so I should be able to fault find and work it out. Hoping to get it in for a roadworthy Wednesday morning. Then I'll take it for a long drive to blow the cobwebs out of it.

Name
    James
    State
    Queensland
    Country
    Australia

Views:	40 
Size:	348.0 KB 
ID:	35137Is this dash special in anyway or anything? Just looks abit fancy that's all

Name
    Michael
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Edit*

250rwhp from a 22r/e will be like a running your 4k on 25% nitro RC fuel, shits fucked up man!

Beams is far more cost effective, efficient, newer, more powerful, better designed, just as cheap to buy/build a good 22re (my 22re cost $3650 to rebuild...properly), and the power curve??? The things rev to like 9k...

Bundle a cheap half cut 3sge with a w55box, some 2sc mounts, a after market ecu, a PROPERLY tuned exhaust, a decent intake setup + CAI...bottom line, I can do beams conversion for under $3650 with a car that has w55.

Before Edit*

My mate who is a well qualified mechanic built my 22re engine.

He had a xt130 corona that was 22re n/a with a bolt on to4e/66 from memory, big 90mm throttle body, 3 inch piping and a big FMIC. The car ran a Microtech ltx8, and made 300hp on 14psi, which was driven on the street for a good year.

They cranked the boost up to 16psi on the dyno and the motor shat itself.

Story goes, standard 22re n/a will easily make 250rwhp with the right turbo setup, boost and fuel.

My car atm is supporting a megasquirt 22re with a bolt on T25/28, tmic fuel only atm etc. Doing some refinements, engineers, then going for ignition, then tune.

Should make 150rwkw on 6-7psi quite comfortably. Only building the car for a 10psi limit (possibly 250rwhp) to be safe, as I have run 13psi spikes without megasquirt lol.

It's all about fuel, even though I'm running a standard fuel setup inc injectors, the AFM is reading 11's under full load. Car has been tuned rich atm, but runs excellent. Will get things leaned out on the dyno once the ignition side of things is sorted(EDIS wasted spark otherwise VAST, it still requires trigger wheel, VR sensor etc). Will consider doing this myself, though will most likely upgrade bottom end pulleys, oil pump etc. before so (LCEperformance).

Bolt on 5gme, 7mge and possibly 7mgte injectors for quick fix, and run a bosch 044 with surgy and pre pump. Quick, easy and cost effective.

Standard 22re's run a 9.4 comp ratio, so they can handle boost quite well. As stated, its the timing chain and head gasket issues which have to be solved.

I plan on getting a reliable 6-10psi out of my 22re, modding things like the intakes/porting, CAI's, throttle body, ducting for TMIC, cheap fuel setup with a cheap garret BB turbo. Should be cost effective. Also, turbo choice is essential for application also, too small the rear housing and it will make no power, the response will be there though. T25/28 runs a .80 AR which works well (smaller turbine than s15 t28, same AR).

If things go well, possibly a cam, and of all things, a GTX3076r externally gated lol. Would definitely think about building another motor for that application though, essentially not a standard 22re

Conclusion: Turboing a 22re costs just as much as going the beams route, if not more(possibly 2x) considering the bolt ons required to make it 250rwhp reliable. To get more than 250rwhp out of either engine after this point, is where things get technical.

Either engine will cost about the same to do properly, and make roughly the same amount of power. One is boosted, one is N/A. I went the boosted route due to the fact that I've owned a N/A bridgeport rotary and I know how fucked it is to try and get that much power out of a n/a engine. Nothing beats N/A IMO.

When you're N/A engine is making 250rwhp, reving of its tits at that +9,000rpm, it makes noises that can be heard from suburbs away. Suburbs...

Michael
    Last edited by troublesome_7; 16th April 2015 at 02:24 AM.

Name
    James
    State
    Queensland
    Country
    Australia

Any wonder why people go SR, it's rego'd and I now see how far out of reach 200hp would be. I'll just drive it til it dies and think about what I want to do until then.
    deleted the rear bar, lowered the front(will be going further and put some 185/60's on the Hayashi's at the rear, will probably go 185/60 all round over the 185/55's, just easier to tuck tyre and maintain a sump.
    Had to replace slave cylinder and alternator already, adjusted the rockers because they were noisier than a kenworth running no oil and now the brake master is airrating, it's leaking out the rear, I'm going to get another I have sitting here re-built along with the clutch slave.

Will put up photos once it's on Hayashi's all round.

Name
    Jacob
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Turbo 22re would be fun! If not SR conversions are real easy haha. Getting stuff done dude keep it up!

Name
    James
    State
    Queensland
    Country
    Australia

I doubt my 22re would last long haha, the dude who swapped the Hayashi's has an Sr20 with mikuni carb set up, sounds fun until tuning

Name
    Jacob
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

22RE are sick, one in my celica had done 430,000 before i got it and still skidded QR a few times pretty well! hahaha

Name
    James
    State
    Queensland
    Country
    Australia

Well I just drove to Brisbane and it never missed a beat, talking to the dude I sold the spare w55 too and he has my mind set on the beams way of life, so the 22re will have to last til then, only drama i had on the drive was that master cylinder, might have to throw that other one in sooner than I thought.

Views:	50 
Size:	368.6 KB 
ID:	35142

Name
    Henry
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

Looks shit without the bumper in my opinion and cops will pick on you for it hard.
    RT142 Estate.

AJPS.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast