Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: James' Panda Levin Notchy

Name
    James
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

Finally got this to run properly tonight with some help from Troy (of Automotive Wiring Solutions fame), and it starts and idles perfectly now. Will be running it in tomorrow night then it's off to get club rego organised, then finally back on the road.

So excited to finally drive it again, it's been way too long. Did a dry comp test and came up with 225 psi across all four (which shows me roughly 11 to 11.5:1 comp going from previous experience), which will suit the cams I'm running much better than the 9.4:1 standard bigport bottom end this had before.

Noooob
    Name
    Matt
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

It has been a while, good to see it is back on the rd
    Ae86 Drivingclub - Toyota AE86 Car Club where AE86 | KE70 | Toyota 86 / GT86 | Subaru BRZ | Scion FRS owners

Name
    James
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

Cheers Matt, I'd forgotten how much I loved driving it.

Did the run in last night over 60km, everything went perfectly so went for a bit of a mountain run after. Even with a fair bit of toe out from doing the alignment by eye, it drives so much better than it used to. No more rattles, knocks or weird noises coming from anywhere so well worth the extra time and effort of replacing literally everything underneath it. Pulls so much better than before from about 3000rpm onwards, so deleting and porting the TVIS has done nothing to hurt the midrange because of how much extra compression it has now and it goes mental over 4000rpm now right up to the 8200rpm limiter.

Will be off to get a proper wheel alignment either this weekend or early next week, then off for a roadworthy and club rego. Then just minor things and buying some tyres and helmets for the 86 club track day at Winton on the 19/4.

Name
    James
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

So took this up to Winton on the weekend, and couldn't be happier with it. Drove perfectly all the way there and back (besides driving on A050's in heavy rain, do not recommend), thrashed it all day and had no real issues at all with it. Got rego on Friday before as well, so finally its properly finished and back on the road too.

Only things that came up that I need to do for now is finish the harness bar as I can't push the brakes hard enough without sliding forward in the seat, a proper LSD centre as in tighter corners it does pick up the inside wheel if you're not super careful and I need way more practice as a driver. Really loving the new engine though, has so much mid range punch to pull out of the corners and top end is fantastic considering it's still running the factory ECU. Plus it sounds incredibly angry at full noise as well.

Name
    James
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

So got defected driving to work a little while ago in this, so the car has had a bit of a make over to make it a bit more street friendly. Went down to a set of 14x7 Enkie Cross Fevers, and going to run an ADM front bar maybe with a lip now as well.

Keeping the Run Free front and 15x8's for track days, and will finish off the full flat floor setup with some front canards and a Hibino style drag wing on the spare rusty boot lid I have for a bit of aero. Probably won't do anything much for actual track times, but will look alright.

Name
    Mirko
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

That sucks so what did he ping you for? Wheels?

Name
    James
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

Normal stuff really, wheels and tyres, too low, no water in the washer bottle etc. Everything is all finished to clear it, just need some new indicator lenses for the bumper.

Name
    James
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

Since I bought it I've never been happy with how low the HKS exhaust hangs,. Considering I had to raise the car as far as it can go just to get it to clear 100mm at the exhaust to clear this bloody defect, decided it was time to fix it. Was surprisingly simple to fix, cut a lot out of the second last exhaust hanger bracket, and then 40mm out of the exhaust just before the last bend where it goes over the diff.

Before:

After:

Now it clears 150mm with ease and I can lower it again and keep it legal-ish.
    Last edited by Jimmee1990; 12th June 2015 at 08:09 PM.

Name
    James
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

Made a proper legal airbox too so now I don't need to borrow one every time I get defected (Thanks Geoff!), just a simple one out of alloy plate and bonded and riveted together.

Name
    Geoff
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

Looks sweet and heaps less restrictive then the stock airbox

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast