PDA

View Full Version : first conversion...what to do?

timmeh12
6th September 2009, 12:43 PM
ok well i've got a sprinter with a 4ac and im finally pulling my finger out and sussing out what i should do to 4age it.

my sprinter is 100% stock but the 4-ac did just get rebuilt 2 or 3 months ago so its a good running engine.

i've read around on here and rollaclub lots of shit about the whole thing. I've read in some places the best thing to do is to save up and wait longer and get a quality engine or do a good build of one

but then i've read that for a first time setup it's better off just to get a decent engine, put in a thin head gasket, replace all the other gaskets, and easily replaceable stuff (water pump, maybe oil pump if its stuffed) all the other seals.

so after reading that shit i think i've kinda come to the conclusion that i may go for a JDM 16v bigport and just leave it stock and drive it around for a bit and see if i like it or whatever

the thing i am also worrying about is the wiring up of the engine too?

oh and i'm also wanting to keep the aircon and heater if that's possible...it's gonna be a hot summer coming up and my aircon just got fixed and re gassed and it rules and i rather not go another hot summer without a air con (old ke70 didn't have one)

oh and for extra information i am a year 12 student, i earn around 150 a week from work and the car is a daily.

any help or information would be greatly appreciated

LittleRedSpirit
6th September 2009, 01:10 PM
Sounds like you have a nice shell to build so why not eh.

I suggest you find a halfcut. Maybe Buddy Parts or the other sponsors will have what you need. It may be hard to find but you will get all the bits you need and can sell what you dont. Its probably the best way to get an air con system, motor, wiring, ecu, the lot. You also get a few nice jdm items to add as well. You will even get a jdm t50 with the slave on the right side. Itll be worth it in the end.

Other wise, look for someone doing a part out and make sure you find out the credentials of the motor.

timmeh12
6th September 2009, 01:15 PM
thanks for the info, ill have a suss

ke70dave
6th September 2009, 01:54 PM
Sounds like you have a nice shell to build so why not eh.

I suggest you find a halfcut. Maybe Buddy Parts or the other sponsors will have what you need. It may be hard to find but you will get all the bits you need and can sell what you dont. Its probably the best way to get an air con system, motor, wiring, ecu, the lot. You also get a few nice jdm items to add as well. You will even get a jdm t50 with the slave on the right side. Itll be worth it in the end.

Other wise, look for someone doing a part out and make sure you find out the credentials of the motor.

yep definately.

i took a few years collecting all the parts for my 4age conversion, spent way more cash than if i had just bought a half cut. and when you buy a halfcut you generally get some sort of waranty on the engine too (if bought from a reputable shop). and you can see the engine running before you buy it too.

and if you buy a half cut you can sell off all the JDM ULEH parts that all the ae86 boys love.

you can you retain the heatever very easily, retaining the airon may be a bit more fun. the half cut may come with aircon which will make it easy, just transfer all the bits over.

though on the other hand, having a 4ac already means that you only need motor/wiring/fuel system/clutch to get a bigport in there. you prolly just need a bit more mechanical knowledge, but everyone does it so im sure you can find someone to give you a hand.

timmeh12
6th September 2009, 04:40 PM
thanks man, ah dad would help me with it hes a panel beater but is a mechanic too so that helps.

i was having a chat with him today and he reckons it may not be a bad idea to work the 4-ac since its just been rebuilt cause we were having a look at the dyno's frak did and he reckons with a bit of work (cam, dual valve springs, weber carb, extractors and exhaust system) it would run just as good as a 4age and be a bit different.

and wouldn't have to worry about getting the 4age approved for rego

more keen on 4age but eh its an option

hachi_dk
6th September 2009, 04:53 PM
buy a silvertop or black top head, dizzy relocation kit, appropriate pistons/rings, blacktop ecu, all the appropriate belts and bolt it all onto your 4AC block and you have a 20v with original engine numbers and u dont need a engineers cert.

you'll have a motor that will rev to 9k all day everyday assuming that you buy decent pistons/rings.
that's what i'd be doing.

ArbPotatoes
6th September 2009, 05:00 PM
buy a silvertop or black top head, dizzy relocation kit, appropriate pistons/rings, blacktop ecu, all the appropriate belts and bolt it all onto your 4AC block and you have a 20v with original engine numbers and u dont need a engineers cert.

you'll have a motor that will rev to 9k all day everyday assuming that you buy decent pistons/rings.
that's what i'd be doing.

Don't 20v's use a 7 rib block?

hachi_dk
6th September 2009, 05:02 PM
mine didnt.
it's a 20v ST head on a 4ac block

timmeh12
6th September 2009, 05:03 PM
didn't even know you could do that cheers man

shift_rook
6th September 2009, 06:16 PM
won't the compression be low as fuck?

rthy
6th September 2009, 07:05 PM
interested to see the outcome of this, ppl who put stack 4age heads on stock 4ac blocks tend to get the low comp, but donno if anyone has tried the 4ac block with 4age internals?

Vance
6th September 2009, 08:17 PM
4ac is 3 rib and no oil squirters. i would only ever use the 4ac block if i was to build a low power 4agc 16v. its more trouble than its worth and costs weigh up aswell.

Javal
6th September 2009, 08:45 PM
interested to see the outcome of this, ppl who put stack 4age heads on stock 4ac blocks tend to get the low comp, but donno if anyone has tried the 4ac block with 4age internals?

It CAN be done, but you pretty much need a complete 4AG to start with.

timmeh12
7th September 2009, 12:07 AM
thats what i was thinking

Sprinter86
7th September 2009, 12:26 AM
the 4ac block is more or less the same as early 4age 3 rib blocks anyway. you would only ever consider doing this if for some reason your 4age block was damaged but all the internals were salvageable.

even then i would just buy an oil squirter 7rib anyway.

yes the compression would be shit if you used the 4ac pistons also.